We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba dviing - Grenada or Carriacou

midwest
Level Contributor
136 posts
14 reviews
Scuba dviing - Grenada or Carriacou

My wife and I are planning to dive in the spring and we spend the majority of the time diving. I have read that the diving on Carriacou is superior to Grenada? What is the difference? I know there are more options to stay on Grenada and my wife would like a nice place to stay while diving. What are the nicest places to stay on Carriacou and places to eat, or do you eat all of your meals where you stay? Sorry for all of the questionss, but new to this area. Thank you.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
171 reviews
1. Re: Scuba dviing - Grenada or Carriacou

Having dived off both Islands and about to go again in 10 days (weather permitting!) I can say that there is fabulous diving on both. Carriacou is much quieter than Grenada and there is less choice of accommodation and eating options. But if it is total relaxation and fabulous scenery you are after I recommend it. Excellent diving can be organised by Arawak Divers. Grenada is more "touristy" but still relaxed. There is a much wider range of Hotels and restaurants and more shopping opportunities than on Carriacou. There are also more bars and night spots if you want that sort of thing. We have found that splitting our holiday between the two is a great arrangement. The Osprey ferry sails between the two every day and, if you have heavy luggage is better than the little plane - it only take a couple of hours.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
276 posts
2. Re: Scuba dviing - Grenada or Carriacou

Both islands offer some very nice diving sites. The underwater landscape of Carriacou in some sites is quite different than Grenada. Large rock formations can be seen amongst the reef s such as the "Deep Blue" and "Magic Garden". The "Magic Garden" is an underwater volcano which constantly bubbles up gases from the sea floor. Try to spend an overnight in Carriacou and you could get 4 dives in (take the morning ferry from Grenada on day one and leave on the afternoon ferry the next day). I would recommend diving with Silver Diving (www.scubamax.com) which is located in Hillsborough and is walking distance from the ferry dock. Affordable lodging can be found right next door at Ade"s .

Flamboyant Hotel in Grenada offers great stay and dive packages. In Grenada you will find wreck diving, drift diving and reef diving. You can find a good description off all diving sites in Grenada on the Dive Grenada website.

London
Level Contributor
316 posts
3. Re: Scuba dviing - Grenada or Carriacou

I agree that splitting the time between the two islands would be best - Grenada is a bigger island and has more on offer - Grenada several wrecks and also has the world's first underwater sculpture park which is now quite popular with divers and Carriacou is also great for a couple of days.

midwest
Level Contributor
136 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Scuba dviing - Grenada or Carriacou

These are great posts! I really appreciate the ideas, including places to stay and who to dive with. I think that I may just try to get 4 dives in Carriacou while only staying one night. Now to decide is it better to accomplish this in the beginning, middle or end of my weeks long vacation?

How is the ferry crossing? How long does it take and is it usually a rough ride?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
171 reviews
5. Re: Scuba dviing - Grenada or Carriacou

The ferry crossing time varies depending on whether it is the big boat or the little one, About 2 hours I seem to remember. There is a rough bit in the middle of the voyage but I am a bad sailor and it was bearable.

London
Level Contributor
316 posts
6. Re: Scuba dviing - Grenada or Carriacou

The ferry crossing can be a bit rough at this time of year on the way to Carriacou - the return never seems to be that bad. If you are not a good sailor the other option is SVG Air which takes 20 minutes. The large ferry takes 90 mins and the small ferry takes about 2 hours.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
276 posts
7. Re: Scuba dviing - Grenada or Carriacou

The flight to Grenada costs just a bit more than the ferry and is much quicker; however there is the altitude differences between flying and diving to consider. My daughter, (the diver in this family and a student at SGU), takes the ferry and since she gets motion sickness very easily always takes medication to prevent it. As the flight is fairly low the traditional wait time between flying and diving may possibly not apply. You would need to check that issue out. Max at Silver Diving may be able to answer that question. He is both helpful and knowledgeable about diving in Carriacou.

8. Re: Scuba dviing - Grenada or Carriacou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2011, 14:57
Get answers to your questions about Carriacou Island
More Carriacou Island Topics