We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Almost death by Seafood

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
215 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Almost death by Seafood

My wife and I along with others had beach food at ‘OFF THE HOOK’ CARRIACOU, cooked by Erasmus (that’s what it sound like) on Tuesday evening 16th Feb 2010. Erasmus brought the meal of baby lobster, lambi and king fish to us ready cooked. At one-o-clock the next morning we started to violently vomit and diarrhea so much that by 8-0-clock we were whisked off to hospital where we were diagnosed to be suffering from food poisoning. We were detained in hospital and received three injections and three liters of saline drip. We were discharged late afternoon only because we had tickets for the late afternoon flight to Grenada. Upon reaching our destination in Grenada we both slept for 13 hours and still feel very week and unwell.

WARNING. DO NOT EAT BEACH FOOD AT ‘OFF THE HOOK’, CARRIACOU.

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Bogles Round House
$$$$, Seafood, International, Caribbean
Slipway Restaurant
$$ - $$$, Caribbean, Seafood, International
Off The Hook Bar & Grill
$$ - $$$, Caribbean, Bar, Seafood
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Almost death by Seafood

Oh no! I'm very sorry to hear that you and your wife are still not well. I wish both of you a speedy recovery and hope you can enjoy the time you have left of your holiday.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Almost death by Seafood

Best wishes for better times over the next few days. Must admit I'm feeling very lucky considering some of the "off the beaten path" places I've risked eating on my Caribbean travels! Hopefully you will be able to enjoy some of the beauty of Grenada!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Caribbean
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Almost death by Seafood

I am very sorry to hear of your unfortunate incident. I was severely poisoned on a trip to Venezuela in September last year. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen to some people. I have no idea what got me - could have been salad, hand washing, fish, pizza...even the beach (such as e-coli fecal contamination from dogs).

I ended up passing blood at both ends, and went from perfectly ok to severely dehydrated in 3 hours. I spent 5 days in hospital, and took 3 more weeks to recover after that. Gastritis is a common occurance in most developing countries.

10.6 million children under the age of 5 die every year from diarrhea, simply because they don't have access to the same $1200 you've just paid a doctor to get better.

I see that the Tourist Board has said they want to contact you, that Off the Hook have taken steps to address your complaint...and you remain angry.

Maybe it's time you counted your blessings?

Mentioned in this post
Venezuela
Venezuela
South America
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Almost death by Seafood

Hope you both get well soon. You must be so angry to have your precious holiday ruined, no compensation i guess? It must be heartbreaking to be so ill on holiday especially from something that shouldn't have happened.

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Almost death by Seafood

Many thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts

gbysea

16. Re: Almost death by Seafood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2010, 15:20
Get answers to your questions about Carriacou Island
More Carriacou Island Topics