We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Almost death by Seafood

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
215 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Almost death by Seafood

My wife and I along with others had beach food at ‘OFF THE HOOK’ CARRIACOU, cooked by Erasmus (that’s what it sound like) on Tuesday evening 16th Feb 2010. Erasmus brought the meal of baby lobster, lambi and king fish to us ready cooked. At one-o-clock the next morning we started to violently vomit and diarrhea so much that by 8-0-clock we were whisked off to hospital where we were diagnosed to be suffering from food poisoning. We were detained in hospital and received three injections and three liters of saline drip. We were discharged late afternoon only because we had tickets for the late afternoon flight to Grenada. Upon reaching our destination in Grenada we both slept for 13 hours and still feel very week and unwell.

WARNING. DO NOT EAT BEACH FOOD AT ‘OFF THE HOOK’, CARRIACOU.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Almost death by Seafood

I am so very sorry for your illness. Having suffered food poisoning and then Giardia I so know what you went through. My illnesses came from two reputable eateries/resorts here in the USA and Punta Cana.

It can happen anywhere and saying to avoid a place, which I did also at first, is wrong. Eating seafood can be "tricky" it may have been contaminated with pollutants from its waters which the chef would have had no idea.

The best thing for you to do at this point would be to notify the Health Ministry or the equivalent of Carriacou. They will investigate, especially if they have had other complaints. If they find health issues maybe this type of incident will not happened again.

Did you contact Off the Hook at any time? I know in my place of business if one of my guests were to become ill I would want to know ASAP.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,028 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Almost death by Seafood

I fully agree. I think the business would definitely want to know if that is where the problem originated. We contracted food poisining at the well known PF Changs in Florida. It was not an experience I want to ever repeat! Hopefully you are on the mend and will enjoy Grenada.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Almost death by Seafood

What an awful experience especially when you are in paradise. I hope it didn't totally ruin your holiday.

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Almost death by Seafood

Off The Hook Restaurant is fully aware of the event because the hospital doctor took details and reprted this to the health authority and Off The Hook deny any responsiblity for the happenings.

Whilst I accept that the meal was not cooked by the owner of OFF THE HOOK, we were initially told that the food would be cooked on the Bar-B-Q on the beach at OFF THE HOOK, however the meal was cooked elsewhere by Limus and served in an eating area 25 meters across from the main bar which was laid out with eating tables and had a large OFF THE HOOK sign above the entrance and we were told that it was all part of the same family.

OFF THE HOOK allowed this event to take place therefore I hold then fully responsible for the outcome so we retain our complaint.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Almost death by Seafood

This was brought to the attention of the Carriacou Tourist Office who were very sorry to hear of that unfortunate food poisioning incident - they would like to get in touch with you via email to extend an official apology and to let you know that they have contacted the owners of 'Off the Hook' who have assured them that they will use other suppliers in future. Please contact the Tourist Office at acaton@grenadagrenadines.com so that they can communicate with you.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Almost death by Seafood

Sorry to hear of your terrible experience. Hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay otherwise.

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Almost death by Seafood

NOW DAY 7

Yesterday we were once again attended by a doctor and more medicines given and we are both still very unwell and confined to our rooms, You can well imagine our anger at Limus and ‘off the hook’ because being so ill that we now have lost seven days of our precious holiday, and paid out in excess of EC$ 1200 in doctor and prescription fees.

Limus and ‘off the hook’ are very fortunate that they do not come under British law otherwise we would sue them in the law courts for every cent they pocess

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Almost death by Seafood

I am so sorry for your illness and the loss of your vacation - it must be horrible...to be so sick and to be so far from home and missing out on your trip...wishing you a speedy recovery!!!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Almost death by Seafood

Gbysea,

So very, very sorry to read your wife and you are still ill. I actually had been thinking about how you were getting along, signed onto TA and here was an update. Very sad indeed.

I do have a question. Here in the US we are able to purchase trip insurance for situations such as this. The insurance would cover an emergency flight home plus cover the unused portion of the itinerary. Was something such as this available to you?

Feel better quickly.

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Almost death by Seafood

DAY 8 The road to recovery

Yesterday (day 7) we ate dry toast and today we will have some clear soup and even hope to sit in the shade by the hotel pool. The doctor said that we should recover quickly from here on but we are still very angry towards Limus and ‘off the hook’ at making us so ill.

Yes we are insured and might be able to claim back some of the costs but our holiday is precious to us and wish to enjoy as much of it as possible.

Get answers to your questions about Carriacou Island
More Carriacou Island Topics