We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
4 reviews
Trip Report

First impressions, Bequia is very busy this year.

First night's dinner was the Fig Tree, Friday night fish fry. A tradition. Very good meal. All enjoyed their selections. Service was also quite good.

Then a few drinks and lunch at Jack's the next day. The tuna nicoise salad was to die for. The reaction of one of traveling companions was sort of like that scene in When Harry met Sally. I'll have what she's having.

Dinner last night at Sugar Hill. Very good meal. Again lots of positive comments from around the table. Glad they are back in business.

We are traveling as a group of 7, Usually hard for the restaurants to manage, but seems smooth so far. Especially at Jack's. I sat at a section with 4 or 5 seats and various came and went and the waitress kept the bill straight. Impressive.

Tried to reserve at Tantie Pearls. The printed phone number seems to be for some person's house or private line, not the restaurant. Too bad.

28 replies to this topic
Springfield...
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report

So glad Sugar Hill is open. Can't wait to see Tiny! We begin our journey Friday night and will be on Bequia Sunday sometime.

Thanks for the trip report so far. Looking forward to more.

We'll be counting down the days...

Dallas
Level Contributor
163 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report

You’ve got to try the Lionfish at Papas Dwhopper. The sauce is amazing. Tell Gert I said Hi!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
902 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report

I am glad to hear some restaurants have lionfish on the menu. Look forward to trying it.

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report

the number for Tantie Pearls is 457-3160

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report

Further commentary.

We had dinner at Mac's Pizza. Seared tuna appie was superb. Rest of menu was very good, as always. Only blemish was the martini one of our party ordered. It was so watered down it should have been on the kid's menu.

Visited Orton King at the turtles. A truly inspiring man. He continues to tilt at the windmills that comprise SVG Fisheries and Wildlife management. He did note that SVG television will be coming to film his activities, for the first time, in the next month or so.

Then lunch at Sugar Reef. Seriously good food. And solid service. Enjoyed that meal and sunning on the chairs in front.

Dinner was an eat in affair so no review.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Trip Report

Yesterday we toured closed restaurants for lunch. First Chrissy's and then the Deck House.

Had an afternoon snack at the Green Boley. Proprietor was in a foul mood and was hear to use some very offensive language. Much more than local colour.

In the evening we went to Fernando's. Superb as always. Funny wine list. 4 reds listed, 1 actually available. We finally asked them to bring all they had to the table so we could make a choice. Might be a good thing to put on the blackboard as opposed to being in print.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: Trip Report

Love hearing about your trip! We also found the seared tuna to be great at Papas...nice memory of a wonderful trip.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Trip Report

Something bad in my GI tract kept me at home for a couple of days. First time ever in the islands. Getting soft in my old age??

Recovery meal was at Mac's. Some very interesting and tasty salads.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Trip Report

Another trip to the Friday Fish Fry @ the Fig Tree. Always well worth it. Staff seemed a bit more confused than usual last night. But all was in accordance with island time. Very good food and even an off menu goat curry for one of our party.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Trip Report

Tried Chrissy's again yesterday. Closed again. Hard to imagine a restaurant not open for Saturday lunch and without any sort of a message on their phone. I have had such good meals and relaxations there in the past I keep trying.

Ended up a Laura's for lunch instead. It was very good. Reasonable service and all of our party liked the food.

Went to the Action Bequia Gala last night at the Plantation House. It was a fun party. The food was buffet style and was quite good.

Reply to: Trip Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bequia
Recent Conversations