We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hey Fellow Bequia-addicts

Somerville...
Level Contributor
140 posts
24 reviews
Hey Fellow Bequia-addicts

I have been visiting Bequia for 8 years and have decided to shake it up by visiting other Caribbean locations. I have never been to any other Caribbean island (other than Mayreau and St. Vincent).

I have just recently learned of Guadeloupe. Can any of you Bequia-experts recommend/advise about Guadeloupe? Locations to stay, general thoughts, fun things you've done.

I ask you because I love the low-key nature of Bequia and am looking for the same vibe. (I know about the language, money, and size of the island/s)

Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Hey Fellow Bequia-addicts

Why not look on the Guadeloupe forum ?

Somerville...
Level Contributor
140 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Hey Fellow Bequia-addicts

I have, thank you. I was curious to hear the opinions of those who love Bequia.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Hey Fellow Bequia-addicts

I too would also be curious as I would like to visit Terre des Haute.

Boston
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Hey Fellow Bequia-addicts

You wouldn't get the same vibe on Guadeloupe proper as on Bequia. We've been to both a number of times and love both places. Guadeloupe is a large beautiful Island with topography similar to St. Vincent,very green and lush also.We like Basse Terre best because it's quieter and the beaches on the Northwest coast are spectacular. Gran Terre is much more of a mainstream tourist destination. I'd suggest researching the area around Deshaies on Basse Terre, there are lots of villa rentals there. Plan on renting a car as it really makes life easier and opens up many opportunities for exploring. The roads are great and driving is easier then in Boston for sure.

If you're looking for a Bequia type destination, I'd recommend the off Islands of Guadeloupe,Marie Galante and Les Saintes. Both are accessible from Guadeloupe via regular ferry service. Both are low keyed, quiet and very French. Marie Galante is the larger of the two and has more accomadation options. Les Saintes is a group of small Islands, two of which are inhabited, Terre de Haute and Terre de Bas, which it the quieter Island.

Norwegian Air has non-stop flights from TS Green in Providence for astoundingly cheap prices. Unfortunately they don't fly out of Logan any more. We flew with them last March, the service is excellent also. The glitch is they only fly from November to March from Providence.

We're heading to the Grenadines this March to Petite St. Vincent, but we'll be returning to Guadeloupe within the next few years for sure. As mentioned there's a wealth of information on the Guadeloupe Forum on their site.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
140 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Hey Fellow Bequia-addicts

Thank you fellow Bostonian for your help. That's the exact help I was looking for.

If you get the chance check out Mayreau sometime lovely and extremely mellow.

happy travels.

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Hey Fellow Bequia-addicts

We were recently on a Island Windjammer Cruise and went to Isle de Saintes, and to Deshaies...loved both places...Isle de Saintes is so pretty with it's white buildings and red roofs, language is a bit of a challenge there if you don't have any french...Deshaies is gorgeous...the botanical gardens are a must see...great patisseries in both, people were very warm and friendly and helpful, even when our limited french let us down...we'd go back to both places in a heartbeat...

We also loved L'Anse Des Arlet on Martinique...another lovely beach town...

Michigan
Level Contributor
228 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Hey Fellow Bequia-addicts

I am also looking for something new, been going to the Caribbean for 35+ years. Thinking of Quadaloupe, Curacao or Bonaire.....since Irma a lot of people are venturing out to new places at least until their favorite island returns to normal!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
249 posts
127 reviews
8. Re: Hey Fellow Bequia-addicts

We have been to almost all of the major Caribbean islands and have been to Bequia and Guadeloupe.

As one poster mentioned, these two islands are quite different. Bequia is one of our favorite islands and one we love for its tranquility and friendly people.

Guadeloupe is far busier and crowded in many places than Bequia. It is very large, and with the winding roads, take a long time to drive from one end of the island to the other.

We wanted to get to some of the smaller sister islands as another poster mentioned, but in a week we only had time to really explore about 1/2 of the island.

We stayed in a villa in Deshaies on Basse Terre and that was pretty nice and quiet there.

Also, in some places French is the only language spoken. We ate at two small restaurants where no one spoke English. It was sort of fun - we got by with our Google translate, but we did get some crab at one place rather than a Carib - guess the words sounds similar!

Nothing bad to say about Guadeloupe, but we would likely not go back there where we would love to return to Bequia.

I would also agree with the comment that Guadeloupe is much more like St. Vincent as far as the geography is concerned.

If you like the Bequia vibe, I would say the following are the best alternatives from where we have visited so far:

Eleuthera or Exuma (Bahamas), St. Barts, St. John, Virgin Gorda, Belize (Ambergris Caye).

Also, Montserrat is very unique and quiet – not really any beaches, but a real out of the way place that has very little tourism since the volcano erupted many years ago.

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Hey Fellow Bequia-addicts

everytime we travel and return home to Bequia (home now for 20 years) we say, 'it was nice, but it isn't Bequia'

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,288 posts
51 reviews
10. Re: Hey Fellow Bequia-addicts

That is exactly what We seem to say! It's fun to explore new places but hard to beat Bequia!

We thoroughly enjoyed Nevis last year. It had a similar vibe to Bequia and was similar in size.

Reply to: Hey Fellow Bequia-addicts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bequia
Recent Conversations