We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Returned!

Columbus...
Level Contributor
249 posts
13 reviews
Just Returned!

Beautiful island and great friendly people. Found the food to be much better than BVI.

We ate all over the island and explored where we could reach by jeep. Traveling to the island

was quite a day. Three flights an entire day from Birmingham Al. but really part of the adventure.

Found that cost of fun and food was reasonable compared to other islands. Thanks again for everyone's advice!

31 replies to this topic
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
50 reviews
1. Re: Just Returned!

So glad you had a good trip!!! I would love to hear more about it. When you get unpacked and settled in, please write a trip report or send me a PM or email with some details about what you did, what you liked the most, etc.

Thanks!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
374 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Just Returned!

I second that request! I will be there in two weeks and would love to hear more!

Montreal
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Just Returned!

I third the request lol I haven't been posting - just lurking a lot - and I remember your posts asking questions about Bequia. I was hoping that you would have a good trip and I'm so happy that you did. I would love to hear about it.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
484 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Just Returned!

I fourth that sentiment! Please share your experience with us! I get it though. Re-entry to the real world after vacation is often painful. I've come to enjoy composing my trip reports in real time. It's fun for me and I promise I will share when we are able to visit.

SE Pa
Level Contributor
656 posts
5. Re: Just Returned!

I plead the fifth! It would be cool if you answered all of your own questions from your pre-trip posts.

Columbus...
Level Contributor
249 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Just Returned!

I needed a few days to reflect on the experience. If you followed all the post and questions. We changed our plans because of the hurricanes that damaged the BVI. We have traveled there four times and have grown to love the vacation time spent there. Searching for another destination, Bequia came to us by recommendation. And the island does have it's similarities. We enjoyed our seven days there, but being land based, it was a bit confining. There is a great peace there, that you find in a small island. Only mom and pop business and restaurants, which is a great plus for us. First of all, you need a jeep for sure. There's no way to walk this island. If you try you won't see much more than down town area. The island felt very safe. We explored the entire island, which is very rural and the roads are very narrow. I really enjoy driving and find it fun to adjust to the different lanes and other drivers opinions. We used EC which we got at our local bank before leaving the states. I think that was a good idea even if it did cost a fee to exchange from U.S. Paying was much easier even if U.S. was accepted. Most all tips and taxes were added to tabs. We did a day sail on Friendship Rose. It was a long day and think it would have been more enjoyable if we had taken a cat. Less travel time and more time in water. But keep in mind, some would love to sail for the entire day. We ate at all the all the top restaurants recommended on Tripadviser. The recommendations were correct. The food was the high light of the trip. Be sure and eat on both sides of the island, there are very good places away from the Port Elisabeth area. I think someone that dives and wants a chartered type of vacation would enjoy the island even more. I want to be very honest, but for us getting to and from northeast Mississippi was a killer. That would be a consideration, if we traveled there again. Also the BVI has or had a ferry system that you would easily visit St. Thomas, St. John, Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke and Anegada all within an hour or less travel time from a land based vacation on Tortola. Prices there seemed to be reasonable. Always think of any destination as of an experience to enjoy and learn. I'll try to answer any questions and explain more, if wanted.

Edited: 19 December 2017, 13:58
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Just Returned!

Thanks for posting. Always good to get a fresh perspective. I do take a bit of an exception to your statement "You can't walk this island." We walk everywhere from our base in Belmont whenever we go. Just about the only time we take a cab is going home if we are somewhere out of town for dinner. (btw, we are in our 60's). On the other hand, we are usually there for 5-6 weeks, so we are not ever in a big hurry and it does help to burn off some of the food and drink!

Bequia
Level Contributor
123 posts
106 reviews
8. Re: Just Returned!

Agreed, Bear! I am in my 70s and just walked back up Mt. Pleasant from a day at Princess Margaret. On Sunday, we walked out to Sugar Reef. We have covered this island from Adams Bay to Bequia Head with a stop at the top of Spring, all on foot.

Montreal
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Just Returned!

My parents used to walk from Paget Farm to the harbour to go to school! That's crazy! Good on those of you who can walk the island, but you need to be in good shape to do so. There's a lot of hills and the heat kills me - and I'm in my forties! I need to exercise lol

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,273 posts
51 reviews
10. Re: Just Returned!

Thanks for Posting! I always enjoy a New Visitor's Perspective. In 17 trips, never have even wanted to rent a jeep. Walking many places works and also the Taxi Drivers are plentiful, reasonably priced and a wealth of knowledge. We enjoy leaving the driving to them and some of Our Favorite places have been found with local drivers. We do rent in the USVIs as the islands are larger and the taxis pricey. Getting to and from Bequia is always a challenge. Too bad You didn't have a day to visit St Vincent. 45 minutes each way by regularly scheduled ferries. The island is lovely and quite different in nature from Bequia. The Waterfalls, lush green hillsides and volcano make it unique and fun to visit. Not sure why many Visitors never take day trips there. Glad You got to the Cays. I agree that the Friendship Rose makes for a long day. Michael's Tours might be a good thing to look into if you do return. The power boat option allows more time to explore and a trip to one of my favorite places, Mayreau...So many Islands! I am sure that both the BVIs and USVIs will welcome back their regular Visitors just as soon as they recover!

Reply to: Just Returned!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bequia
Recent Conversations