We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First day grocery shopping advice?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
58 reviews
First day grocery shopping advice?

We will arrive midday on a Wednesday. Before we really get the "lay of the land", we will want to pick up some simple things like (local) beer, rum, fruit juice mixers, eggs, butter, cheese, crackers, fruit, etc. We will be staying in a rental house in Belmont and will have a jeep. I am sure we will do more shopping later but where is out best bet for a first shopping trip?

Thanks!!

12 replies to this topic
Bequia
Level Contributor
44 posts
1. Re: First day grocery shopping advice?

Knights or Doris,s both in Port Elizabeth, they shut at 5,30/ 6pm

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: First day grocery shopping advice?

Plus a trip to the brewery for beer and soft drinks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
3. Re: First day grocery shopping advice?

Knight’s has a good supply of wine, rum, vodka etc. Just saying!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: First day grocery shopping advice?

Knight's is always your best bet for basic supplies. If you can't find it there, then Doris is a good bet, but generally more expensive--good for (frozen) meats, etc., spices and imported canned goods and such. I never bother going to the "brewery" for beer because I don't have a car when there--I just buy cases of cans at Knight's or elsewhere in town--the "feed-bag" shopping bags sold everywhere are perfect for carrying a flat of cans.

Columbus...
Level Contributor
262 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: First day grocery shopping advice?

We are thinking of having Grenadine Collections have a few breakfast and liquor staples

delivered for us. We won't arrive until 5:00 OR 6:00 in the afternoon. Have dinner out that night, then we could go shopping next day for rest of needs. We are packing a few simple items that are not space consuming. Packs of coffee, creamer and sugar. Maybe a few spices to cook with. Also small packs of laundry detergent. We have found that you have to leave some items, if you can't buy small amounts.

Edited: 03 November 2017, 10:14
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
446 posts
72 reviews
6. Re: First day grocery shopping advice?

Or ask your rental house manager to get what you need in advance, and pay him/her once you're here.

UK
Level Contributor
686 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: First day grocery shopping advice?

Just on laundry detergent, because all the the water is collected from rain, it is incredibly soft so you need

very little detergent, soap or shampoo to get a good lather, so bear that in mind when packing those items.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
58 reviews
8. Re: First day grocery shopping advice?

Thanks for that tip!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: First day grocery shopping advice?

We always buy local... Knights is a good choice. We always leave our food and toiletries for the staff when we depart. Buy lots and leave lots.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
58 reviews
10. Re: First day grocery shopping advice?

Anchorhome- we always do the same ! I would much rather someone use things rather than haul them home or discard anything.

Reply to: First day grocery shopping advice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bequia