We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery store food prices

Lansdale...
Level Contributor
228 posts
42 reviews
Grocery store food prices

I am doing my research for a month long visit on Nevis.We will stay in a self catering place and like to cook meals occasionally. What kind of basic food costs will I find ? Is there a large grocery store on the island or smaller ones ? And speaking of food prices, what is an average for dinner out in small local restaurants ? Thanks all !

Texas
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,756 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Grocery store food prices

You'll find the following "large" grocery stores on the island: 1) Best Buy in Charlestown across from the police station, 2) Superfoods diagonally across the road from Best Buy, 3) Ram's and IGA ValueMart both on the main island road near the Pump Road/Deep Water Port traffic circle and 4) Best Buy in Gingerland. You'll find a decent selection of food at these stores but you may find it necessary to visit a few or even all of the stores to get everything on your shopping list. On average, you can expect grocery prices to be 25% to 35% higher than for similar products back home in Lansdale, PA.

It's difficult to give you an average price for meals out at "small local restaurants" since there's no such thing as an "average meal" and there are many different dining options on Nevis. Everyone's "eating style" is different and prices will vary depending on where you dine, how many courses you order and what foods you eat (for example, steak or lobster cost more than chicken or goat) and how much and what you have to drink. As a rule of thumb I tell visitors to estimate what they spend if they dine out on their so called "average meal" back home and add about 20% to 35%. The result will be close to what you'll probably spend if you dined at similar type restaurants and ate similar foods on Nevis and you'll probably have a little left over.

Lansdale...
Level Contributor
228 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Grocery store food prices

Thanks Caribsurfer ! That's just the info I needed.

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3. Re: Grocery store food prices

We have been in all of them and the IGA is just like walking into a US grocery store, everything you need!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Grocery store food prices

We also visited all of them within the last week. I agree that IGA is the best. The prices are very expensive (especially for sundries. We ran out of sun screen for the kids and had to pay $22 USD for a small tube. They were selling a small plastic bucket and a couple toy shovels for playing in the sand for $17 USD at Best Buy, etc.)

We rented a place with a kitchen thinking it would save us money to cook, but found that there were places around where it was cheaper to eat out than buy groceries. I suggest you visit Spencer at Lindbergh Landing (You can tell him Smiley and Baldy from Cleveland sent you ;) ) It's a bar that serves food on certain nights (and when they do it is incredible!), but most importantly, Spencer and his wife, Jackie, are super friendly and knowledgeable about the island. They can advise you exactly where to go/ shop/ find things (including the local tiny shack/huts where the local have shopped for generations prior to the supermarkets coming in the past couple decades.

Enjoy! We've only been back a day and I miss it so much!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
154 reviews
5. Re: Grocery store food prices

if you want to eat out and spend very little money, and also experience the local culture, I would recommend the "Snackettes". These are very small eating places that every village has at least one of. They serve a local dish, and drinks, at very reasonable prices. These are not your usual "tourist stop" type of place, but still they are an interesting thing to try.

Northern Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Grocery store food prices

Hi Cherokee,

My experience is that one can spend a lot of time in Nevis food shopping and that you'll probably have been in all the major food stores before the end of your first week there, so you'll catch on fast.

My only recommendation would be to look around at the Charlestown market and roadside stands for fresh vegetables (instead of the imported produce from Mexico and South America found in the supermarkets, which is really fairly ordinary) and make an effort to use them. I found all the local produce I bought to be excellent -- especially the tomatoes. (And for those of us pining for a decent tomato here in snow country during February, no price is too high!)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
154 reviews
7. Re: Grocery store food prices

I totally agree about the Charlestown Market, which is on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays -- buy from the people who set up tables in the street near the market building: 3-foot long beans, Striped pumpkin, Spinach that is a vine, elegant lettuces, all kinds of great stuff.

I would also recommend a very good farm stand, "Mansa's Last Stop" which is opposite Cades Bay and not far from the Sea Bridge Ferry Terminal. Mansa has not only a pretty good selection of fruit and vegetables (much of it grown right there on his farm) and some basic groceries, but also a wide variety of really exceptional freshly squeezed juices, as well as Mansa's homemade ginger beer, which in my opinion is the very best on the island, it has a lot of zing! Mansa also has a terrace restaurant -- his wife is a good cook!

8. Re: Grocery store food prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 23:05
9. Re: Grocery store food prices

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 03:35
10. Re: Grocery store food prices

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2016, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Charlestown