We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon - Staying in villa near Hamilton

Saint Louis...
2 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon - Staying in villa near Hamilton

a few questions:

1) is it possible to walk from our area down the beach to four seasons? it looks like there may be some sort of jetty/rock formation, but hard to tell via google maps.

2) I've seen that US$ is accepted, but would it be wise to bring some EC$ just in case?

3) we want to take an island tour when we get there, but with no concierge at our place, we're not sure which tour is the "best"... Anyone have any experience/advice?

4) while we plan on renting a car, i'm nervous about going to one of the beachside bars for the day then driving back to the villa... is it wise to take a cab instead of risking a dui? obviously a dui is not smart, but the wife would be nervous the cabbie knowing we're staying all by ourselves with no one really around. maybe i'm overthinking the scenario, but want to calm her fears.

5) we'll be there during Culturama... are there any parts of the festival that are most reccomended for attendance?

Thank you in advance!

Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,327 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon - Staying in villa near Hamilton

I'll try to give you some answers:

1) I'm guessing you are asking about a villa near the Hamilton condos (which are beach front) not a villa near Hamilton Estate which is up on the lower slope of Nevis Peak (no where near the water). If so, there are two "outcroppings of rock between the Hamilton Condos and the Four Seasons. The first out cropping is directly south of the condo complex and actually protects a private home. You can usually walk around these rocks in ankle deep water unless there are extremely "high seas". The second outcropping is more problematic. It's located about 150' further south of the "house rocks" (at the south end of Montpelier's private beach club). It's traversable in ankle to knee deep water at low tide. At high tide it can be un-passable.

2) No need to bring $EC with you (you won't get a good exchange rate back in the US). $US dollars are accepted everywhere. If you need more cash when you get on-island use your ATM card at any of the banks in Charlestown. They dispense $EC and you'll get the official exchange rate ($2.6882EC=$1US) - same if you exchange your $US inside the bank.

3) Just hire one of the local taxi drivers (you'll find plenty at the Taxi stand by the ferry dock in Charlestown) to give you a private tour of the island or contact Teach Tours (869-469-1140 or 869-662-9022).

4) I'll answer your question by asking you: How much do you plan on drinking during your beach bar stay? If it's a lot and you plan on getting intoxicated then by all means have a designated driver or plan on taking a taxi. You don't want to endanger yourself or others by driving while under the influence. If, however, you are asking about the integrity of the taxi drivers on Nevis that's a bit of an insult toward the people of Nevis but to put your mind at ease all taxi drivers are professionals who are licensed by the government. They are very reliable and excellent ambassadors of the island.

5) Culturama is fun time on Nevis with parades, music and exhibits, etc. Check out their Facebook page.

Level Contributor
259 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon - Staying in villa near Hamilton

The laws in many countries mean that having just two glasses of wine or two glasses of beer puts you over the legal driving limit and there is usually a good chance you will be caught. I never drink and drive at all in England.

I have lived on Nevis for nearly nine years now. It is a great vacation island and the residents party hard. I personally have never heard of anyone being stopped for suspicion of dui. One of the reasons I love living here is that in many cases the law and bureaucracy are sensible rather than constricting. Hopefully that answers your question.

3. Re: Honeymoon - Staying in villa near Hamilton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Nevis