We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eastern Caribbean Dollars

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
24 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Eastern Caribbean Dollars

Hi, I saw the most recent post about this, however, I seem to recall that most merchants seemed to prefer $US as opposed to $EC on our last trip (about 5 years ago). I took a bunch of $EC and very little $US. I always remember the taxi drivers quoting in $US, and we would both sit around doing the math in our heads for the conversion rate. Is that accurate? The reason I ask is that you lose some in the exchange (my bank is using the rate of $2.36 EC/ $1 US), and if the locals would rather have $US anyway, it doesn't seem worth it to change $$.

Your input would be appreciated!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eastern Caribbean Dollars

$US are widely accepted all around the island. Unless your bank gives you the "official" exchange rate ($1US=$2.6882EC) DO NOT exchange your $US before you leave on your trip. You can pay just about everybody in $US or you can simply wait to exchange your $US for $EC at any of the banks in Charlestown. Honestly, most merchants/vendors don't really care which currency ($US or $EC) you use.

Generally speaking at those places where you'll see prices listed in both $EC and $US you'll pay slightly less for an item if you pay in $EC then you would if you pay in $US. But don't dwell too much on this because on the majority of transactions that difference will only amount to a few cents "on the dollar". By the way, if you pay in $US some vendors may give you change in $EC. If that happens you'll probably "lose" a few cents on the transaction (but here again, not enough to worry about).

FYI - The taxi drivers you dealt with in the past probably quoted rates in $US simply because your accent told them you were from the US and they assumed you probably had more $US than $EC.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eastern Caribbean Dollars

We usual travel with some US$, but for general spending money, we get EC from an ATM machine as needed when we are there. Not worth getting the EC in advance.

3. Re: Eastern Caribbean Dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 15:15
Get answers to your questions about Nevis
Recent Conversations