We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water taxi from Nevis to St. Kitts Christmas Eve?

Friday Harbor...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Water taxi from Nevis to St. Kitts Christmas Eve?

We are arriving on a cruise ship in St. Kitts on 12/24 and want to spend our day on Nevis. 4 of us ladies want to do it on our own rather than the cruise tour. Our plan is to take a morning ferry to Charlestown, lunch and beverages on Phinneys Beach (must have a Killer bee!), hire a taxi/tour guide for about 2 hours and be dropped off at Oualie Beach to take a water taxi to I believe Turtle Bay? Then taxi to the ship. Our ship departs at 5pm. The ferry schedule for the return to St. Kitts doesn't seem to work for our time frame, but taking a water taxi seems like a nice change. I've read that it should be about $100 for the 4 of us? My problem is...do I pre-reserve and with whom and how? Or, can we just arrange it that day? I'm just needing to feel confident that we will be able to get back to our ship on time. Any help out there? Thanks in advance!

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water taxi from Nevis to St. Kitts Christmas Eve?

With your planned Nevis adventure, the date involved and your ship departing, I would recommend using a local tour operator for your return from Nevis to the ship. That way you have a local contact with name(s) and telephone number(s)...along with local knowledge about timing each portion of the return and if weather conditions interfere. We use lizpereiratours@yahoo.com for our transfer arrangements and have always found her arrangements and drivers well worth it. Needless to say, there are other firms that provide the same service. And, if a real problem arose, a water taxi could take you directly back to Bassterre harbour...but it could prove pricey. Have a great trip. Cheers, Richard.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water taxi from Nevis to St. Kitts Christmas Eve?

Your understanding of the water taxi is correct EXCEPT it will take you from Oualie Beach to Reggae Beach Bar on Cockleshell Beach (they haven't been going to Turtle Beach for several years - Cockleshell is the next beach over from Turtle Beach).

It's always wise to make arrangements for the water taxi a day or two before hand just to be on the safe side especially since you want to travel late afternoon on Christmas Eve when "people & things" tend to wind down for the holiday. So, if you want to take a private Water Taxi from Nevis to St. Kitts contact one of the following:

Captain Winsent on Fan-TaSea - 869-662-7081 or 869-662-1762

Captain Clivens on Black Fin - 869-663-3301

Captain Cornelius on Perfect Life - 869-663-3595

Captain Coby on Sea Brat - 869-662-9166

Make sure you ask the boat captain to arrange for a taxi to pick you up when you get to Reggae Beach Bar as there is rarely a taxi "waiting around" for a fare. FYI - you'll pay abut $30 for the taxi to get you back to the cruise ship dock so factor that and any gratuities for the driver and "boat boy" into your transportation budget.

By the way, there's no such place as "Phinney's Beach" - it's Pinney's Beach.

One last comment, depending on what ferry you take to Charlestown you might want to do your "2-hour tour" before you stop for lunch - there will be plenty of taxi driver/guides meeting the ferry. If you want to go to Pinney's Beach first you'll probably want to take a taxi - the "beach bars" at Pinney's are a very long walk from the ferry dock. Regardless of whether or not you take the tour before or after lunch you'll still need to make arrangements for the taxi to pick you up at Pinney's Beach and take you on your tour or to Oualie for the water taxi, as the case may be. Like at Reggae you won't find taxis "waiting around" Pinney's Beach for fares. Either get your driver's cell phone numb and give him a call when you are ready to leave or ask him to come back at a pre-set time.

Friday Harbor...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Water taxi from Nevis to St. Kitts Christmas Eve?

Thank you for the information and your insights! I apologize for my misspelling of Pinney's...my bad.

Would it be advisable to pre-arrange a taxi/tour for when we arrive into Charlestown as well? We're thinking we would take the 9:30am over and I imagine it could be overwhelming with many taxi/guides wanting our business. Anyone knowledgeable and entertaining you would recommend?

Thanks!

Friday Harbor...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Water taxi from Nevis to St. Kitts Christmas Eve?

Richard,

Thank you for your recommendation about using a tour operator. I will look into that!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water taxi from Nevis to St. Kitts Christmas Eve?

No real need to pre-arrange a "taxi tour" on Nevis - there are always plenty of taxi driver-guides waiting at the ferry dock. As an example, we had a cruise ship in Charlestown harbor today and even with all of those added tourists there were still the regular contingent of taxis waiting to meet the ferries when they arrived. It's hard (and probably unfair) for me to recommend a specific driver (I know a lot of them) - all are well qualified (they under a thorough testing process to get their taxi license) and are excellent "ambassadors" of the island.

Friday Harbor...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Water taxi from Nevis to St. Kitts Christmas Eve?

CaribSurfer- Thank you! You have been very helpful. Looking forward to experiencing your lovely island!

Nevis
Level Contributor
257 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water taxi from Nevis to St. Kitts Christmas Eve?

All the water taxis CS suggested are super reliable . I don't think there is much need to pay extra for a tour operator. We are actually using Black Fin (Captains surname is Christmas!) on Christmas Day evening to pick up our guests at Reggae Beach.

We organize that crossing for our guests around 30 times a year and we always use another super reliable land taxi in St Kitts called SeaMoss - +1 869 662 3826

8. Re: Water taxi from Nevis to St. Kitts Christmas Eve?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2014, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Nevis