We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott vs. Westin

Yorktown Hts, NY
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott vs. Westin

Hi,

We are planning a trip for either July or August to GCM and are trying to decide between Marriott or the Westin. Is there a big difference between the two?

I've heard that the Marriott beach is kind of narrow, but are willing to accept in turn for great beaches and crystal blue water. I've also heard food and drinks are expensive at the Marriott and I am also willing to accept that as well.(think I have no choice)

I recently realized the Westin could be an option....does the same hold true regarding prices and beach size there?

We will be traveling with teenagers, realizing that nightlife may be somewhat quiet and have also accepted that.

Thanks for any feedback!

Yktnmom :)

54 replies to this topic
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott vs. Westin

There is simply no comparison as far as beach area goes. Marriott's is very small while beach at Westin is very spacious. My suggestion is a central SMB condo. Beach areas at those are large, uncrowded, and you get the benefit of more bedrooms, bathrooms, living space, kitchen where you can keep drinks, snacks, whatever foodstuff right at hand for both convenience and less expense on purchasing at any hotel or restaurant.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,172 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott vs. Westin

I will second lovecayman's suggestion 1000%.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott vs. Westin

+2 for getting a condo.

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
61 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott vs. Westin

i agree the Westin has the better beach of the two. I also agree about the condo,especially if you plan on booking more than 1 room at the hotel. Just returned from the Beachcomber where everyone had there own BR and bath.Large modern kitchen, huge balcony. Supermarket across the street. a 2BR condo is the same price as 2 hotel rooms . There are 5 or 6 condos between the hotels. All nice.Good Luck !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,172 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott vs. Westin

Victoria, I agree with you. When I am on vacation, I don't want to be crowded into conditions below those at home. I want to feel like I am on vacation, with multiple bedrooms & bathrooms, a luxurious patio or balcony, and daily maid service. All of which is widely available in the many condos along SMB. Please do not limit yourself to *5 or 6 between the hotels. Look at the map on www.caymangoodtasts.com for starters...... there are many condo properties from which to choose and that map will show you the exact locations. After perusing the map, look at individual condos websites and contact the manager. For summer visits, be sure to ask what *special* rate they are offering....... quite often 1 night free.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,734 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott vs. Westin

Condo on absolutely every level number one having kids particularly teens unless you are planning two hotel rooms. Even then the condo has so much more to offer it is a no brainer.

Yorktown Hts, NY
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott vs. Westin

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Unfortunately, I am not looking to stay in a condo, I definitely want a hotel experience.

I was mostly wondering if anyone had any feedback on which of the two hotels were nicer or had better night life, or even slightly more reasonable prices for food and drink.

Any feedback regarding Marriott vs. Westin would be appreciated!

Thanks and so grateful for help.

Ykntmom

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,172 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott vs. Westin

The rooms at the Marriott have recently been renovated, along with the public areas.

Reviews of the Westin rooms are mixed. Look here on TA. Most people find them old & small.

You may find a piano player or something like that at either hotel in the evening, but neither has anything resembling a night club.

You could expect both hotels to have high prices for food & drink. I would think that US$15 per cocktail would be about right. That's one of the reasons that most vacationers prefer to stay in one of Cayman's high end condos vs squeezing everyone into one room with no kitchen.

I'm curious...... why would you not consider a condo?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott vs. Westin

What exactly is the hotel experience? Room service? Pool bar?

Not sure if this helps but the Caribbean Club is a full service resort with condo units.

Yorktown Hts, NY
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriott vs. Westin

I'm not interested in a condo because I don't want to be responsible for shopping, cooking at any level, minimal straightening up or any of the usual duties I perform on a day to day basis. The layout of a condo sounds ideal but that's it. I want drink service on the beach. A giant pool to swim in and mostly the experience of having different places to eat and people to meet. Thank you for asking!

Reply to: Marriott vs. Westin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach