We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant closures during hurricane season?

Murrieta, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant closures during hurricane season?

Hello,

We are thinking of bringing our family for a week to stay in September. We love to eat out and try local flavors and are wondering if many restaurants will be closed mid Sept? Thanks so much!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,804 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant closures during hurricane season?

Quite a few of the popular tourist restaurants will be closed, but plenty will be open, so you won't go hungry. Anywhere specific you were planning on dinning?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant closures during hurricane season?

I agree that you will never go hungry during September on GC. Each year the Cayman Compass publishes a list of restaurants that close. I would check perhaps in early August. We usually find that the island is nice & quiet and reservations are rarely needed in September. We usually are on the island for my birthday in early September, and we haven't starved yet. ;-)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant closures during hurricane season?

Grand Cayman is an island with 65,000 people and more than 250 restaurants. While some restaurant owners might close up shop for a week or so (maybe vacation with their families), I would describe restaurant closures as "few" rather than "many"

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,883 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant closures during hurricane season?

They don't actually close for hurricane season. They close when the island is at its quietness usually October. It is because of kids returning to school so tourism is slow. The staff get their holiday and it is a time for any renovations etc. a big exception is Blue at the RC. It closes for months. So did their Perwinkle. Not sure if it's replacement is closed that long nowadays. That said we do find plenty of places to eat

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,804 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant closures during hurricane season?

Here is the list from last year that'll give you a good idea of some of what may be closed this year.

caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants-closed-for-s…

Edited: 09 May 2016, 05:58
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant closures during hurricane season?

Perfect, Testudo!! That is the list to which I was referring. Thanks for posting it!

Murrieta, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant closures during hurricane season?

Awesome, thanks everyone! Looks like there will be plenty of dining options for us. Can't wait!!

8. Re: Restaurant closures during hurricane season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2017, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about George Town