We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

George Town Heritage Day during Pirate Week

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
284 reviews
George Town Heritage Day during Pirate Week

Just learned our ship will be in port at George Town Heritage Day during the Pirate Week festivities. Wondering who has attended and what activities might be worthwhile rather than just heading to a beach.

Also, considering ships in port and the celebration, will the crowd be overwhelming? Are the festivities that day worth the crowd hassle and will the busses be overwhelmed?

The Pirate Week site provided a weekly schedule but not much in the way of details of the events. Anyone able to help based on past experience or inside knowledge?

Thanks.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,573 posts
197 reviews
1. Re: George Town Heritage Day during Pirate Week

If you just discovered that you're going to be in Georgetown on Heritage Day then should thank your lucky stars. If there's one day to soak up all of the heritage of the Cayman Islands (food, history, traditional crafts and trades...) it's during these Cayman Heritage Days. It will be a once in a lifetime experience.

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
284 reviews
2. Re: George Town Heritage Day during Pirate Week

We were very pleasantly surprised but it appeared as if most of the major Pirate Week festivities were being held on the weekends. We were hoping that Heritage Day in George Town would display local crafts, foods, skills, etc. but just couldn't find any specific information on events during the day, access, layout or other helpful information. Hoping to get that from experienced posters here since the Pirate Week website wasn't too helpful.

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,573 posts
197 reviews
3. Re: George Town Heritage Day during Pirate Week

I've lived in the Caymans on and off for the past 30 years and have been to many Heritage Day events in George Town. It's exactly what you're hoping it is (i.e. crafts, foods...).

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
284 reviews
4. Re: George Town Heritage Day during Pirate Week

Excellent. Sounds like the celebration is our plan then.

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
284 reviews
5. Re: George Town Heritage Day during Pirate Week

Having just returned from our cruise, got to say that Heritage Day at George Town wasn't exactly what we expected. A small blocked off street with about half a dozen food booths selling much of the same thing for about $20 USD per styrofoam doggie box. No live music. No crafts. Not much of anything really. We found the Pirate Week HQ and asked about other venues or activities and they told us that was pretty much it. Bought a Pirate Week can coolie and called it an event.

Like I suspected, Pirate Week appears to be mostly a weekend affair. Not knocking it since I haven't truly experienced it but the Heritage Day in George Town was a let down.

Just FYI...

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,573 posts
197 reviews
6. Re: George Town Heritage Day during Pirate Week

It seems that you received some incorrect advice, or didn't ask the right questions. There was a full day of activities for kids including contests, music and storytelling starting at 11:30am and culminating with the pirates landing in the afternoon. Perhaps what you observed were people setting up.

compasscayman.com/caycompass/…

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
284 reviews
7. Re: George Town Heritage Day during Pirate Week

I asked 4 or 5 people in booths about activities and they told me that this was it. Pirate Week HQ told me the same. I saw two men in pirate outfits the entire afternoon. One went into Paradise Bar & Grill for a drink and get out of the sun.

We didn't get tenders until almost 1 pm, but stayed until about 4:30. Didn't see any landings that afternoon. Saw no one setting up - they were serving and the music was playing. Saw a tent with pseudo-artifacts including a double cot with colorful blankets and a few knick-knacks but very limited.

Asked questions on this board. Perused the Pirate Week website. Asked booth participants. Went to PW HQ. Asked two cops. The question was, "Where's the action?" Answers were, "This is it." Don't know how we could have prepared or investigated any more than that.

8. Re: George Town Heritage Day during Pirate Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2012, 21:19
Get answers to your questions about George Town