We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Grand Cayman - rental location question

Rochester, New York
3 posts
1 review
First trip to Grand Cayman - rental location question

Researching rentals for our first trip to Grand Cayman. On vacations, my husband and I love to snorkel every day and explore the entire island, get up at sunrise and in bed by 9. We always rent a car. My 20 year old son is coming this time with a friend from college. I'm pretty sure this schedule is not for them. Looking at places at SMB but also interested in Rum Point and West Bay because they are less expensive and seem to have great snorkeling. Can anyone recommend a good place that is more quiet with great snorkeling but also is good for 20 year olds and won't bore them to death but will give us a little peace and quiet? Looking for a 2 bedroom location around $200/night. Thanks! Mid May 2019, I know this is early but I do a lot of homework!

5 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,381 posts
197 reviews
1. Re: First trip to Grand Cayman - rental location question

If this is your first trip to the Cayman Islands then I suggest reading the #1 Top (pinned) topic, “Traveling to Grand Cayman for the first time.... Here are some hint”

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g14736…

From your description, it sounds like your kids might enjoy being on SMB, but your budget will likely need to be revised.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
100 reviews
2. Re: First trip to Grand Cayman - rental location question

So much depends on what your 20 year-olds like to do to keep themselves entertained. For example, several complexes in West Bay are waterfront and have semi-decent snorkelling, and pools. But they aren't going to be providing organized entertainment.

So what do your younger crew like to do?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,525 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: First trip to Grand Cayman - rental location question

You are quite right that 20 year olds will want to be on SMB and preferably either central or southern areas of SMB where they can walk to restaurants, some shopping, etc. Even during off season you will be hard pressed to find a condo in those locations for $200/njght. Northern SMB is a short drive from restaurants, grocery, shopping venues and the public bus runs along the SMB frequently during weekday daylight hours and there is decent snorkeling there so I suggest looking into that area. Remember that in addition to the base rental cost there is a mandatory 13% gov’t occupancy tax for accommodations. While the SMB corridor is busy along the road, beachfronts at all condo properties are neither busy nor noisy.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 03:50
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,381 posts
117 reviews
4. Re: First trip to Grand Cayman - rental location question

I agree with all of the above. Northern SMB might work well for your group. The 20 somethings could take the bus during daytime hours and taxis if they want to go out at night. Be advised that the drinking age in CI is 18. (They probably already know that!). If they are not already dive certified, they may want to look into getting the online certification from PADI, and then doing their open water certification in Cayman.

Having access to a condo with fully equipped kitchen does help to contain vacation costs.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
100 reviews
5. Re: First trip to Grand Cayman - rental location question

If the 20 year-olds are willing to take the bus to get places and Northerm SMB is outside your price range, then West Bay is even more of an option for you.

Reply to: First trip to Grand Cayman - rental location question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted