We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too hot in June to have dinner outside?

north carolina
Level Contributor
252 posts
14 reviews
Too hot in June to have dinner outside?

Hi. First Happy Mother's Day to the the moms!

You have all be really helpful about picking a place to eat for our group of 6 adults for dinner on SMB for a Sunday. We are staying near Rum Point and having one nice dinner on Sunday. Tried to make a reservation GOH but they are not serving dinner on Sundays in June. :( They suggested their sister restaurant, The Warf. And other's here recommended Lobster Pot or Cracked Conch.

Wondering if sitting outside for a nice dinner seaside is a good idea in June. Wanted to see the sunset and enjoy being outside, but re-thinking for heat.. bugs.. Is it better to find a nice seaside restaurant with great views but only inside seating? Living in the south, I know right now it is nice to eat outside, but by July, not so much! Thought GC in June might be the same.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

15 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
197 reviews
1. Re: Too hot in June to have dinner outside?

Depends on the person and the weather. You can judge the former but nobody is going to know if it’s going to be warm and breezy or hot and muggy on a random night in a month.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,964 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Too hot in June to have dinner outside?

Bugs are not often a factor along SMB corridor. We don’t have lunch outside during summer but dinner especially along the water is doable at least until August or July. This year however we already have real feel temps in the mid-90s so no guarantees. Many restaurants have outdoor fans that keep the air moving. From your list I would pick Cracked Conch as The Wharf now that it is under the incredible eye if Luciano ffom GOH. Been to CC several times and love it. Only been to Wharf since the change for a b’day bash. The nibbles were excellent.

north carolina
Level Contributor
252 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Too hot in June to have dinner outside?

Thanks for the information. Smushie, I feared folks would say 'you can't predict the weather'... which we all know haha! But, just like if someone were to ask about coming to the deep south of the US in June I would have input.

Looking for insights on suggestions for ocean side nice dining with fans and a view for a Sunday night. Some suggested Morgans..?

Thanks!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,964 posts
81 reviews
4. Re: Too hot in June to have dinner outside?

No sunset at Morgans but I am happily there most Sundays😎

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,219 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Too hot in June to have dinner outside?

We live in Texas and when we visit Cayman in the Summer it is to cool down. So in our situation, we like to dine Al fresco whenever we can. Almost any location on the water tends to suit us fine. It can get muggy (usually July-Sept) if there is not a breeze blowing and we almost always have insect repellent at hand in the event it's needed.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
197 reviews
6. Re: Too hot in June to have dinner outside?

Like Testudo, I tend to shun A/C when I’m on the island. I run extremely hot. In the winter here in Colorado, I’m out shoveling and chopping wood in a T-shirt with temps in the single digits and still wind up soaked in sweat.

What I find in the tropics is that, the more time I spend in A/C, the less tolerant I am of the heat: hence why I spend my days in the shade rather than indoors. By sunset, even upper 80s seems reasonable. Of course, after a hot yoga class at Bliss even 90 could give you goosebumps.

My advice would be to pick an option with indoor and outdoor seating depending on how your group is feeling that evening.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
100 reviews
7. Re: Too hot in June to have dinner outside?

If you want indoor seating with a panoramic view over Seven Mile Beach then Ave at the Kimpton may be of interest. seafireresortandspa.com/grand-cayman-restaur…

You have waterfront dining outdoors at Catch, Morgans, Bacaro but those are all east-facing so no sunsets (they are on the sound side).

There are restaurants in George Town by the waterfront, too. Cracked Conch is definitely an option up in West Bay, and will give you a sunset view.

I often find that after I have been on island for a few days sitting indoors can feel too cold to me, even in the middle of summer.

Sunset in Cayman in June tends to be around 7pm, so plan your timing accordingly. That's an hour and a half earlier than in most of Texas, and a lot earlier for folks that live further north.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
117 reviews
8. Re: Too hot in June to have dinner outside?

I have had dinners outdoors in the summer when the sweat was running down my back.....that’s no fun! So I would choose Cracked Conch. You will have a spectacular view of the sunset & if you can sit outdoors by the rail, you will feel as if you are on a ship at sea! Just the brilliant Caribbean and the sky! If it gets too hot, you can move indoors — with A/C — and still have that same wonderful view. And their food is consistently top-notch!

north carolina
Level Contributor
252 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Too hot in June to have dinner outside?

CMGPARSONS.. thank you! that sounds perfect!

Need to make reservations? thanks again!!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
1 review
10. Re: Too hot in June to have dinner outside?

We still eat outside at night time year round. Somewhere around the end of April though, I no longer wear jeans at night. And I'm always sure to have a way to get my hair up in case it is sticky out.

Reply to: Too hot in June to have dinner outside?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted