We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Local color"?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
127 posts
26 reviews
"Local color"?

My family is considering GC for a trip in early July- myself, DH, DD12 and DS9. We would likely be staying at Sunshine Suites and are already aware of some of the more "touristy" things to do, but I was wondering if GC offers any island specific events (I.e Some islands have the Friday night fish fry, beach BBQs, or other "local color" things to do). Would appreciate any advice on cool, not as well known activities! I have searched the forum and the FAQs, but couldn't find much.

2 replies to this topic
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: "Local color"?

Like most destinations these such events are run by hotels and restaurants for tourists. There are many BBQs etc at places like Kaibo, Rum Point, Macabuca, etc. On the food front the more local experience will be eating at places like Capt Hermans Fish Fry. An incredibly busy spot at lunchtime is The Tortuga Rum Cake Factory. You can’t get in or out! Smokeys at AL Thompson has a chef with an outstanding pedigree. ALT is like a Home Depot or DIY. Most locals here eat in all the same restaurants that visitors do. Tourism is not the main industry. You can look at sites like caymanislands.ky and camana bay calendar for events that might be on while you are here. There is a market daily by the airport and on Wednesdays at Camana Bay that sell local farm produce and other goodies.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
197 reviews
2. Re: "Local color"?

Agree with Retrip. Fish Fries, Beach BBQs, these are "touristy" things to do where you'll typically find a mix of tourists on holiday, expats on date nights, and some local Caymanians.

For local experiences, I would check out the various farmers markets and look for announcements in the paper for talent shows, local music school performances/recitals, and other cultural activities.

Agree about the food at ALT. The Rum Cake Factory has a walk-up window outside that moves a bit faster than the lines inside at lunch. The line might be just as long outside, but everyone in that outside line knows what they want, has cash in hand, and is in a hurry to get back to work.

Reply to: "Local color"?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted