We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peter Island vs. Little Dix Bay

Arlington, VA
5 posts
Peter Island vs. Little Dix Bay

My fiance and I are trying to decide between LDB and PI for our honeymoon. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!

nyc
9 posts
1. Re: Peter Island vs. Little Dix Bay

I am curious to know too! I went to Little Dix Bay on my honeymoon (10 years ago) and loved it. We're considering Peter Island for our 10-year anniversary. I would go back to LDB in a heartbeat, but we would like to try something new. I am curious to hear how they compare. Good luck.

SJ

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: Peter Island vs. Little Dix Bay

We honeymooned at LDB many moons ago, and stayed there for a few nights at the end of a couple of week stay on VG in several different villas. We also stayed on PI in Oct., 06.

It probably depends what you are looking for in terms of a place to stay. LDB is in the middle of the lovely island of Virgin Gorda, which has a # of great beaches, excellent restaurants, some with night life. Many feel as though the focus at LDB has changed over the years, and it has become more of a "family resort." They have built large 3+ bedroom villas on the hill overlooking the rest of the resort, and have continued to expand their other accommodations.

PI is a resort on a much smaller island, and is just about the only thing on the island, other than a restaurant on the other side of the island. We feel as though it is one of the top 5* resorts in the BVI, if not the entire Caribbean. Very well appointed, comfortable accommodations, a # of great beaches, outstanding food, and a very competent staff, of whom most knew our names by the 2nd day. We returned to PI for lunch during a dive trip in Sept, and several folks still remembered us and treated us to drinks. It would probably be our first choice for a honeymoon or anniversary. Here are some photos: …smugmug.com/gallery/2448625_mqXZo#128417099

I do a lot of diving and snorkeling in the BVI and believe that the PI day sail to the Dogs and the Baths on VG are to 2 of best snorkeling sites in the BVI: …smugmug.com/gallery/2449006_atGRt#128431279

The PI dive shop is top notch; they do afternoon snorkel trips several days a week, and even offer an introduction to scuba that you might want to try.

You can't go wrong at either place, alashas

nyc
9 posts
3. Re: Peter Island vs. Little Dix Bay

nia79,

I read your post too, thanks for all that information and the pictures. Quick question about the Ocean View rooms at Peter Island. Are they far from the beach? Any other comments you have about them would be appreciated!

Scout

nyc
9 posts
4. Re: Peter Island vs. Little Dix Bay

Sorry! I was responding to alashas

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
5. Re: Peter Island vs. Little Dix Bay

scoutjr,

When we had lunch at PI in Sept., we looked at one of the ground floor OV rooms and thought they looked great, PI was in the process of refurbishing them. Here's a couple of photos (and a few more of PI on the preceding page):

…smugmug.com/gallery/3529991_QbTFZ#230421789

I didn't think about looking in the units on the top floor, where you probably have a better view. However, if you look at this photo:

…smugmug.com/gallery/3529991_QbTFZ#199692694

the upper floor unit looks like it has a smaller deck than the patio on the ground floor, which looks quite pleasant:

…smugmug.com/gallery/3529991_QbTFZ#230421491

You are not far from the beach at the OV rooms, maybe 5 min walk or so. The OV rooms are closer to the Tradewinds Restaurant, where all of the breakfasts are served: …smugmug.com/gallery/2448625_mqXZo#128420536

as well as delicious dinners in a very romantic setting: …smugmug.com/gallery/2448625_mqXZo#128417108

By the way, here's a good shot of the beach from the Deadman's Bay Bar & Grille at night:

…smugmug.com/gallery/2448625_mqXZo#128420529

Cheers, alashas

nyc
9 posts
6. Re: Peter Island vs. Little Dix Bay

Thanks, Alashas. I actually peeked at your pictures from another post. One more question...have you ever been to Cap Juluca on Anguilla? That's the other place we are considering.

Thanks!

Scout

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
7. Re: Peter Island vs. Little Dix Bay

Scout,

Sorry, we haven't been to Anguilla yet, but it is on our short list. We may get to SXM and AXA this year. We have gone back and forth about CJ for a long time. It looks like a great beach, to be sure. It tends to get fairly high ratings, but there are enough unhappy reviews that it gives us pause. If we are staying on a larger island like Anguilla, we like to rent a car and explore as much of the island as we can, go to different beaches, eat at different restaurants, etc., and CJ is so expensive that we'd probably have mixed feelings about staying there or going to other parts of the island. And, to tell you the truth, from the photos, we can quite tell what the style of the CJ resort is supposed to be! We'll probably stay on a different place on AXA.

Just my 2 cents, alashas

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
15 posts
58 reviews
8. Re: Peter Island vs. Little Dix Bay

We stayed at Peter Island for a week and really loved it. Yes, it's quiet and secluded, but not boring - you feel like the island belongs to you. There was entertainment every night at dinner both at the main restaurant (dancing under the stars) and at the beach restaurant . The staff was exceptional - everyone stopped to say hello from the gardeners to the wait staff to the managers. We had wine and cheese at sunset up on the mountain ridge, took the ferry over to Tortola, and complimentary day trips by boat to St. Thomas and Virgin Gorda. The snorkeling was excellent, food memorable, and beaches breathtaking. I think PI is a terrific place for a honeymoon.

We met two honeymoon couples when we were there, one was splitting their time between PI and LDB and the other was staying at PI and St. Thomas. Each swapped resorts on the day PI offers their complimentary boat trip to the other island. So, you could have the best of both worlds...

9. Re: Peter Island vs. Little Dix Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Peter Island
Recent Conversations