We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nickel & Dimed at PI?

USA
1 post
Save Topic
Nickel & Dimed at PI?

Hi All,

My fiancee and I are planning on honeymooning at PI this summer and are very excited, especially after hearing so many excellent things about it and reading all of the raving reviews. We plan to fly in to St. Thomas on Monday where we will transfer to Peter Island, stay at PI until Saturday (do the VG day trip and Wine Dinner on Thurs.), when we will catch the boat back to St. Thomas to spend our final night there. We will be flying back on Sunday.

My question is this - While I know the resort packages do include meals but not alcohol, will we be "nickel & dimed" during our stay? Obviously, this is not going to be very budget-minded trip, however we are wanting to keep things reasonable. I am just trying to get an idea of what kind of additional charges people have incurred during their stays, on things like wine & other beverages, tipping, etc. I suppose we are moderate drinkers, in that we will probably be having a few cocktails or beers during the afternoon, wine with dinner, and maybe even an after-drinner drink or two a couple of nights. We are planning on stopping in Tortola to stock up on wine and liquor as others have mentioned.

Basically, I am curious to find out how much extra I am going to spend after paying for the package, airfare, and other fixed costs.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Peter Island Resort and Spa
Peter Island Resort and...
968 Reviews
Peter Island
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nickel & Dimed at PI?

I'm not what you mean by "nickel and dimed" as nothing at the resort is cheap. Since you already know what is included in your "package" you can expect to pay typical "resort rates" for cocktails and excursions. It's been a while since I've been to Peter Island but you can figure mixed drink cocktails will run you about $8 to $10US each, Exotic Cocktails will probably run you about $10 to $15US each, beer will probably be around $5US.

There's no tipping at the resort. An 18% charge will be added to your total hotel bill (including all the drinks that you charged) to cover a Service Charge and the Government tax.

Mentioned in this post
Peter Island Resort and Spa
Peter Island Resort and...
968 Reviews
Peter Island
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nickel & Dimed at PI?

Mr. B,

We didn't find the cost for drinks out of line at PI. We took a bottle of gin and tonics for afternoon drinks in our room. I think we drank of glass or 2 of wine with dinner, as well as an occasional bottle. The only "nickel & dime" charge was something like $2 or $3 "beverage fee" or something like that per meal, regardless of the "beverage." We did not do the wine dinner, but spoke with several couples who loved it. By the way, I believe the drinks are on the house at the Monday night manager's reception.

The day sail snorkel trip to the Dogs and Baths on VG is outstanding. I've done a lot of diving and snorkeling in the BVI and the Dogs are one of the very best sites. The Baths are a unique geological formation of rocks and boulders with an interesting trail through them. Here are some photos of those 2 sites: …smugmug.com/gallery/2449006_atGRt#128431279

And here is more of the Baths: …smugmug.com/gallery/3674111_4yDj5#210025794

The Spa is excellent at PI, but pricey.

If you have never dived before, consider their "Discover Scuba Diving" class: http://www.bviwatersports.com/ It is an incredible experience. After an introduction to scuba, you will be able to dive to 30' with an instructor.

My wife and I consider PI to be one of the best 5* resorts in the BVI, if not the entire Caribbean. Here are a few photos: …smugmug.com/gallery/2448625_mqXZo#128417099

have a great honeymoon! alashas

Mentioned in this post
The Baths
The Baths
2,524 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nickel & Dimed at PI?

PS, We took some extra cash ($5s and $10s) to provide an additional tip to staff if we appreciated their service.

4. Re: Nickel & Dimed at PI?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Peter Island