We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biras Creek is Closing

CT
Level Contributor
387 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Biras Creek is Closing

Just received a message on Facebook concerning Biras Creek. It is closing according to Orlando Smith of the BVI. How sad for the island and the workers.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biras Creek is Closing

http://www.biras.com/

www.bviplatinum.com/news.php…

bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/statement-premier-an…

It will be interesting to watch the impact the (re)opening of Cuba to US citizens in the not too distant future is going to have on the rest of the Caribbean. Location, low pices and curiosity will have US residents flocking to Cuba in droves. This will dramatically effect the availability of rental rooms and properties over the rest of the Caribbean islands frequented by US residents. Steep discounting will become the norm in many locations, even if the discounted pricing does not generate enough revenue to maintain properties for a protracted period of time.

It sounds like the Biras Creek situation involved some infighting, though there still appears to be an element of lodging oversaturation to the event. My wife and I were at an event a couple of years ago in Cancun wondering how all those hotels could possibly get enough occupancy to remain open. Multiple that times many islands and locales. I suspect a reckoning is coming and the US/Cuba thawing may be the event that pushes the rest of the Caribbean market over the edge.

All that being said, it is very sad to hear of the closing of a unique and lovely facility and my heart goes out to all the employees affected by their loss of income.

CT
Level Contributor
387 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biras Creek is Closing

Thanks for your insight on this issue. I used to love Biras Creek, but stopped going when it became less than it used to be. I agree that oversaturation of the islands will take its toll...

london
Level Contributor
138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biras Creek is Closing

I was due to be visiting Biras for the second time in a couple of weeks and in my mind it was as perfect a holiday experience as I could hope for. So sorry for all the wonderful staff there, my heart and best wishes go out to you all. I feel for you and am so sorry.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
32 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biras Creek is Closing

Yes I was scheduled to stay at Biras Creek in mid-July. Very sad to hear it closed. Luckily, we rebooked at Rosewood Little Dix Bay.

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Biras Creek is Closing

We just heard this news today and feel like we just lost many best friends, fellow guests and staff alike. We made our second visit to Biras Creek the first week in March and could see that through no fault of the staff, it had declined since the our first visit. It was sorely in need of a large injection of capital. Mr. Johnson, the lease holder, seemed indifferent and Craig, the manager seemed frustrated. Our English friends and we are having a transatlantic wake, literally shedding tears over the demise of our beloved Biras Creek.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
18 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biras Creek is Closing

Biras used to be the essence of "Classic Caribbean" before Mr. Johnson took over and tried to turn it into an attempt of modern glitz. Never was quite the same and we started going elsewhere.

I too feel sad for the terrific employees and for the Biras that was....

Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biras Creek is Closing

Well well. I am not in the least surprised. I booked on the basis of reputation some time ago. Arranged for the family big yacht to be moored in the marina on site at considerable additional cost. We were not met on arrival. Eventually a young local turned up and told me to go to reception. Waited and waited and eventually was told to sit down by a snooty English woman. who said she would be back after she had been to the beach party. 30 minutes later I walked to the beach and asked her to just check me in and provide the keys for the two rooms booked for my party. With ill grace she did this but told me the best suites I had booked were closed for repairs. I subsequently saw her and her husband manager going into those suites and the young staff told me that the suites were now the managers accommodation. The following day I arranged drinks in the small bar for my party that included a very well respected celebrity. This time the English manager and his wife decided to try and gatecrash. I told them their presence was not required. This brought cheers from all the residents who to a man thought they were arrogant and above themselves. The moral is of you do own a resort that aims to be top notch, go there very regularly yourself and don't just trust to management in your absence!!!!!!!!. PS I am English in case you are wondering.

8. Re: Biras Creek is Closing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2017, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda