We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mango bay hotel questions

Williamstown NJ
Level Contributor
464 posts
237 reviews
Mango bay hotel questions

We read lots of great reviews of Mango Bay here on tripadvisor.

We are plannining a trip in May 2013 to Virgin Gorda.

We read several places that mosquitos were horrible there. Are they any worst there then other parts of islands?

Some people commented about burning trash smell from dump.

Also some people commented about traffic noise there

Any comments on these?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Mango bay hotel questions

The number of mosquitos you encounter anywhere on the island is more a related to recent weather conditions rather than location on the island. They will be more prevalent and active after periods of prolonged rains and/or when there are very light or no breezes. There are times when you won't be bothered by them and other times when you'll need protections no matter where you stay. Now, you'll almost always be bothered by mosquitos at dusk when walking or standing on the beach, especially if you are near the area where the vegetation meets the sand, if you are in dense vegetation or around salt ponds and standing water (this is true everywhere on the island). You can lessen your chances of being "attacked" by avoiding those areas at that time of the day and by refraining from the use of perfumes, colognes, after-shaves, scented body splashes, scented hair sprays and similar products as the "sweet aromas" act as an attractant.

There's hardly any traffic on the island and what little traffic there is on the road leading past the resort is pretty far from where the rooms are located.

Can't comment on "burning trash" as we've never encounter that during our trips to VG.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Mango bay hotel questions

We were down last week and the mosquitos were pretty bad as there was almost no breeze. VG has attempted some fogging but no too sure how well it worked. We were staying down by the baths. They were of course the worst starting at about 4:00. A good application of bug spray with DEET worked well. We found that 25% DEET and up worked the best.

B.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
221 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: Mango bay hotel questions

Hello! I have a question regarding this resort. Since there are no restaurants onsite, are there any nearby? Where do you recommend going? I know there's a kitchen, but I'm not really into cooking while on vacation. That's part of what I want to get away from.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Mango bay hotel questions

Correct, there are no restaurants near Mango Bay resort.

Use the "RestaurantS" link on the left side of this page to bring up a list of 35 restaurants on the island. Read the reviews to determine which most appeal to you.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Mango bay hotel questions

Michelle H, most restaurants are in the Valley/Spanish Town area which is 5-10 minutes from Mango Bay. Here are a few links to places, including Leverick Bay as well.

http://www.mineshaftbvi.com/

http://www.maddogbvi.net/index.htm

http://www.bvidining.com/Rock_Cafe/index.php

leverickbay.com/Leverick_Bay/restaurant.php

http://cocomayarestaurant.com/

virgingordaislandparadise.com/2012/…

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
6. Re: Mango bay hotel questions

I toured Mango Bay a couple of yrs ago, and they've done an excellent job of upgrading/remodeling the units since our stay there in 2003.

…smugmug.com/Vacation/Virgin-Gorda-Mango-Bay/

I love snorkeling the reef at Mango/Mahoe Bay. The photos of squid, turtle, and blue tang, as well as the video clip of blue tang in this video were all shot at Mahoe Bay:

http://youtu.be/UvLKWH_bSQM

Chicago
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Mango bay hotel questions

Alashas - When we were at Mahoe Bay last week the visibility was terrible. Especially on the North side. The wind was calm and mainly out of the South which is strange for that time of year. There was some surge. Is this a common occurrence in Mahoe? Thinking of staying there next time.

B.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
8. Re: Mango bay hotel questions

If there is a weather system coming through, or one that came through the previous day(s), a surge can create a visibility problem at Mahoe, as well as all of the beaches on the north side of VG. Heavy rain, esp. for a couple of days, can also cloud the water from the run off from the hill above Mahoe, but that usually clears in a day or 2.

Our numerous trips to VG always include time snorkeling at Mahoe, and we've only had one experience in which the visibility was poor, and that was in Jan., 2008, when a major storm system came through that part of the Caribbean. We attempted to snorkel Mahoe, also at the north end, and got out after just a few mins, because it was very cloudy. I don't think it would have been clearer anywhere else at Mahoe.

Having said that, there are times when beaches have surge on the southern end of VG and make snorkeling lousy there, but not a Mahoe. In the Spring, 2009, there was a major algal flow from South America that slowly worked its way through the Caribbean. During many of the dives I did that week, the visibility that is normally 60 ft or so was 10 to 15 at most sites, due to a murky green algae. What surprised me was that the snorkeling was crystal clear at Mahoe Bay.

What makes Mahoe unique is that it has a dual reef. If you look at the 3th & 4th pictures in this album, you can see the waves breaking on the outer reef

…smugmug.com/Underwater/…

That outer reef serves as a sort of protective barrier, keeping stuff out of the inner reef, which you can see clearly in the first 2 pictures. In the Spring, 2009, that outer reef kept the algal flow out of the inner reef at Mahoe, and will also help prevent some surge from reaching the inner reef. However, when a major system comes through with enough force, the surge breaks over the outer reef and clouds the water. Here is what Savannah Bay, the beach just south of Mahoe, looked like on day 2 of the Jan. storm I've mentioned:

http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/Vacation/Virgin-Gorda-Savanna-Mahoe-Bay/4167006_SN3d4S#!i=243367028&k=zK2tZ

A day or 2 after that, the weather looked fine at Mahoe:

http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/Vacation/Virgin-Gorda-Savanna-Mahoe-Bay/4167006_SN3d4S#!i=243367028&k=zK2tZ

However, the water was still very cloudy when we tried to snorkel Mahoe, and we got out of the water after a few mins. It may be that the outer reef that generally protects Mahoe can serve as a barrier that prevents some of the cloudy water from leaving the bay as quickly as it otherwise could....

Keep us posted on your travel plans, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
221 posts
44 reviews
9. Re: Mango bay hotel questions

CaribSurfer, your comment is perhaps the most useless comment on an TA forum. I'm very much well aware of the "Restaurants link". And yes, I'm perfectly capable looking up all 35 restuarants, however that's not a very effective use of my time. My question was more directed towards someone having stayed at Mango Bay and if they had a favorite restaurant nearby.

If you're not going to be helpful, don't bother posting.

Chicago
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Mango bay hotel questions

Michelle H - That is quite a rude comment. Many people are not aware of the restaurant link and one click to bring up all the restaurants on VG is IMO a very effective use of ones time. It was also stated previously that there are no restaurants nearby the resort.

B.

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations