We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from San Juan to VG?

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
83 reviews
Flights from San Juan to VG?

It is much cheaper for us to fly to San Juan than St. Thomas. My concern is the connection to VG. Cape Air no longer list VG as a destination. The Air Sunshine website is not working; are they still in business? I've had several nightmare experiences with American Eagle to a variety of islands in the Carribean. Any suggestions?

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Flights from San Juan to VG?

I feel your pain. tpcook could probably right a volume on this subject. Unfortunately, only charters are allowed to land on Virgin Gorda at this time.

Charters are not cheap. Regular service in a full nine seat plane was $275.00pp round trip. A charter will be higher.

ATL to SJU is usually much less expensive than ATL to STT so I always look to see if it gets cheap enough to fly into SJU, take a charter to EIS, and then the fast ferry to VG. For my family of four, it has to be less expensive than the flight from ATL to STT and an aditional $355.00 - cost of ferry (I have a younger child who gets the roundtrip for $55 instead of $70) and the cost of cab and tip back and forth to the airport. So, my flight from ATL to SJU has to be so cheap that I can add in another $1100 and $140 round trip in ferry fares. Have not been able to do it so far. Really miss the old Air Anytime direct flight to VG from SJU.

Edited: 31 August 2011, 05:23
Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
83 reviews
2. Re: Flights from San Juan to VG?

Wow. If you weren't going to take a charter from San Juan to Tortola, can you recommend an airline? American Eagle is charging $350 and Cape Air/LIAT $400 RT.

Once there, is my only choice taking a ferry from Tortola to VG. Any local captains that would pick us up at the Tortola airport and take us to VG?

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Flights from San Juan to VG?

I miswrote, I am sorry. I would take Air Sunshine, not a charter, from SJU to EIS. They charge $270 rt.

I would not sweat the ferry from Tortola to VG. You walk out of the airport and across the street to the ferry dock at Trellis Bay. They will take care of your bags for you if you have enough time to wander around, shop, drink, eat. etc. It is only about a 20 minute ferry ride from there to Spanish Town, VG. Cost is $40pp rt, $65.00 if you are going to the Leverick/Bitter End area.

Again, the cost of a private boat would far outweigh the benefit. It is a really easy trip.

Edited: 31 August 2011, 06:52
Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
83 reviews
4. Re: Flights from San Juan to VG?

Thanks for the clarification.. I used Air Sunshine from Ft. Lauderdale to Marsh Harbor, Abaco and was very satisfied with their service.

I thought the ferry dock was across the street from Pussers, is there more than one ferry dock? Do you have a link for their schedule.

Thanks for your help.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Flights from San Juan to VG?

There are ferry docks on the West End, Road Town, and Beef Island (Trellis Bay). Here is the schedule for the ferry from Beef Island-Trellis Bay to VG. You can access other ferry schedules off of this link.

bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_tortola_vg_nsx.h…

Edited: 01 September 2011, 10:37
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Flights from San Juan to VG?

We've flown on American Eagle from SJU to EIS, then taken the ferry to VG. Went very smooth. I think it's a little trickier if you're not arriving on AA and taking AE to EIS or if you are arriving on AA but taking a different airline than AE to EIS.

The Tortola airport is located on Beef Island and there is a ferry that departs from Trellis Bay, which as reported, is really only a few minutes walk from the airport. You can see it. There is a shuttle if you have heavy luggage or difficulty walking, but it's really close. There are other locations on Tortola where you can catch ferries, but Trellis Bay is most convenient for the airport and VG. Trellis Bay is also one of the best waiting rooms in the world, so if you have a bit of a wait for the ferry or the flight, it will be pleasant.

So if it's cheaper to get from Baltimore to SJU than to STT, you've got to look at the cost from SJU (flight and ferry) to VG versus the cost from STT to VG (ferry only).

Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
344 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Flights from San Juan to VG?

Some day commercial flights will resume from SJU to Virgin Gorda (Vij)

The runway needs to be made longer and paved. The BVI gov't is short on cash so it is unknown when that may occur.

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
83 reviews
8. Re: Flights from San Juan to VG?

Do any "charter" planes still fly into VG. If so is there a company that you can recommend?

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
9. Re: Flights from San Juan to VG?

I have done the BWI to VG trip many times. If you are going in the winter it is best to make your reservations with American all the way thru to Tortola. If you get delayed anywhere then AA will rebook your entire trip. If you book Air Sunshine from SJ to Tortola, they will give you a REALLY hard time and make you pay a rebooking fee. I will never go any other way in the winter until VG reopens .

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
83 reviews
10. Re: Flights from San Juan to VG?

We will be traveling in June. Any hope that the airport will reopen by then?

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations