We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming back after 15 years. Still the same?

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
116 reviews
Coming back after 15 years. Still the same?

Hi, We came to Virgin Gorda 15 years ago for our 10th ann. Now it's our 25 year anniversary!

It was so beautiful and undisturbed. God's glory everywhere! Is it still the same or have random hotels popped up everywhere?

Thx,

m

If it's changed, where would you suggest we go? Thx!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Coming back after 15 years. Still the same?

I was hanging around on St John 15 years ago rather than Virgin Gorda. That island has definately changed in 15 years so I would guess Virgin Gorda has as well. That being said, I believe you will find Virgin Gorda sufficiently bucolic.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: Coming back after 15 years. Still the same?

I have been going to them all for almost 30 years and I think Virgin Gorda has changed less than the others - by that I mean Tortola, St John and St Thomas. Road Town is huge compared to what it used to be and St Thomas is nothing like it was about 20 years ago - it is so different now and to me not in a good way. I am sure VG has changed a bit, but much less so than the others.

West Viriginia
Level Contributor
249 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: Coming back after 15 years. Still the same?

I agee with Saffie VG has changed the least. I think there are some improvements ex. roads & signage. I also think a little neater than 91 when I was first there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Coming back after 15 years. Still the same?

Returned to St John this year after 30 years and could not believe the change. As we approached I thought I had made a big mistake. We were happy with the Coral Bay area, but the Cruz Bay was not the place I would have been happy in. Drinking crowds on the streets, noise, cars..... Thinking about Virgin Gorda for our 25th in April 2012. This forum has been very helpful so far. I like the Guavaberry so far- no rental car necessary and cooking facilities. Two kids in college and we are on a tight budget. Any input?

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
39 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Coming back after 15 years. Still the same?

2 kids in college here too. We are planning 5 days at Caneel Bay and 5 days at Little Dix Bay.... after they graduate. But I stay on the forum just being patient and planning....

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Coming back after 15 years. Still the same?

I am a huge fan of Guavaberry and stay with them every visit (so far). If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

I could not agree more with your take on St John. We still love St John and have friends there. All of them live in the Coral Bay area so that is where we spend our evenings. The peace and quiet of Virgin Gorda, however, is much more to our taste, which is why we migrated there for our beach vacations.

Boston...
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Coming back after 15 years. Still the same?

How would Virgin Gorda compare to Vieques?

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Coming back after 15 years. Still the same?

I wrote these last year. Hope it answers most of your questions:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147358-i651-k3736…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147358-i651-k3763…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147358-i651-k3767…

Boston...
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Coming back after 15 years. Still the same?

just what I needed- thanks so much!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
38 reviews
10. Re: Coming back after 15 years. Still the same?

I think you would need a car at Guavaberry. The cottages are across the street from the beach and and it is a longish walk - at least to me. They did look nice though and the beach is nice there.

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda