We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at Little Dix Bay

Midwest
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
Tipping at Little Dix Bay

We have a full meal plan booked at Little Dix Bay on the "Romance Package" that's supposed to also include taxes and resort fees. Question for someone who's done the meal packages at LDB... will we get a bill when we eat and be expected to tip based on the value of the meal?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Tipping at Little Dix Bay

It's been a couple of years since we were at LDB but at that time they added a surcharge (10% I think) to your total bill at the end of your stay to cover all gratuities. There was no need to add a tip for meals or drinks at the time of service.

Midwest
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Tipping at Little Dix Bay

FYI...

Well, we made it to LDB, and my question was answered in their "guest service directory":

"A 15% gratuity is added to all food & beverage checks... Guests on a meal plan will be charged 15% of the meal plan rate."

Note that I'm pretty sure the rate pinted in their book is out of date - it's now 18% rather than 15% (based on what I'm actually seeing on the bills).

Midwest
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Tipping at Little Dix Bay

There are two separate fees, from what I can determine... this from their in room directory:

"A 10% resort fee is applied to your room rate and will be charged automatically to your folio. Half is a gratuity to the front of house staff and the other half is to support various complimentary guest services. A 15% gratuity is applied to all food and beverage choices. Additional tipping is at the discretion of the guest."

As I noted earlier, I'm pretty sure the 15% figure it out of date and should be 18%.

That's an interesting phrase - "front of house staff"... not sure what that's supposed to imply.

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
4. Re: Tipping at Little Dix Bay

Rosewood has significantly changed policies since the good old days. There formerly was only a single 10% charge for all gratuities and additional tipping was actually discouraged because the tip pool was distributed equally among the staff. Now the "resort fee" remains but they've added a mandatory tip to each meal. And you're correct, it's 18%, not 15%. Interesting that their website shows the correct amount but the printed materials on site don't. I believe I'd complain about that. Not that it will do any good.

BTW, "front of house" is an industry term that describes those non-wait staff folks who mostly work in the public areas of the hotel -- front desk, porters, concierge, etc.

Also, you gotta love the room directory comment "...the other half is to support various complimentary guest services." So there is a 5% charge for "free" services. Man, they're getting as creative as the airlines ;-)

5. Re: Tipping at Little Dix Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 14:21
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations