We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 5/12 to 5/20 First time Part One

Red Bank, New Jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
12 reviews
Trip Report 5/12 to 5/20 First time Part One

First I want to thank all the contributors on this forum for your invaluable advice. It really helped us to make the most of our trip!

We are St. John junkies so I can't help but make comparisons. So here goes....

Local people are much friendlier on VG.

Food is much better on St. John. It's hard to get a bad meal on STJ. We are "foodies". We found the best food on VG to be the BBQ. We couldn't stay away from Hog Heaven. We sampled everything on the menu and it was all good!! The Friday night BBQ buffet at Leverick was also surprisingly delicious. Perhaps our best food find were the ladies that set up their stands on Saturdays in front of Friendly Andies and Grandma's kitchen in Spanishtown. Probably the best chicken I've ever had!

We found that if you order anything Conch, Stewed or BBQ you were in for a treat!

I know we are not in the majority here but we were underwhelmed by Chez Bamboo and Coco Maya. At Chez bamboo our appetizers were really good but for dinner my husband ordered shrimp and I had the curried lobster. A big pet peeve of mine is overcooked shellfish and that's what we got! Maybe just an off night? We ate at Coco Maya twice. This was definitely our favorite place for sunset, relaxing and drinks! We tried several menu items. A couple were outstanding but most were just ok.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report 5/12 to 5/20 First time Part One

Too bad you didn't get to the tree house for dinner. The food choices are limited but it is good food. If you do not like it, the experience alone eating in the tree house is gorgeous.

So what is your conclusion? are you a convert now? Did you like the beaches?

I agree about the BBQ, we eat a ton of it while on island. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your experience on virgin gorda.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report 5/12 to 5/20 First time Part One

Thank you for taking the time to post and we appreciate your opinions.

Like BostonTia, I am curious to hear if you would come back.

I also agree that bbq is strong on the island. I actually like the bbq at Island Pot the best, but that's just one person's opinon.

New Paltz, New York
Level Contributor
954 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report 5/12 to 5/20 First time Part One

Were those the only places you ate or were there other places you didn't find remarkable? We found Leverick Upstairs to actually be better than ZoZo's on STJ! We also loved Saba as well as The Rock Cafe and Bitter End. If you choose to return you should put them on your list as I don' t think you could go wrong. This last time we all chose burgers at Hog Heaven and were disappointed. They were seriously bland and overcooked. We learned our lesson to stick to the BBQ there as it was great in the past. Oil Nut Bay and Fat Virgins are on our list for next trip.

I too am curious about whether you liked it enough to return. Did you find enough to see and do? How did you like the beaches as compared to STJ? Where did you stay?

Red Bank, New Jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report 5/12 to 5/20 First time Part One

Island Pot and The Tree House were on our list but we missed them. We did go over to Saba for lunch and it was delicious. I had the lobster grilled cheese and my husband the lobster taco's. What a magical place! Just beautiful! I really wanted to get in the water there. I saw a couple of places with rocky access but wasn't comfortable trying it being there were no other people in the water.

We also ate at BEYC. I don't remember what the hubby had but he was pleased. I had their stewed goat which was tough and under seasoned.

We had appetizers on Norman that were fabulous. Bacon wrapped plantains with a maple glaze and I don't remember what the potato's were called but they were little cubes from heaven!!

We did lunch on Cooper. We both had burgers that were very good and cooked to our liking. We were disappointed the rum bar didn't open till 2pm. Next time we'll plan on going later in the day.

New Paltz, New York
Level Contributor
954 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report 5/12 to 5/20 First time Part One

So it does sound like you hit some great spots! Definitely try Leverick Upstairs next time! Overall we find the food on VG to be very good. Much better than Tortola and I think some of their best places can certainly rival those of STJ but that is just IMO.

Sounds like you are planning on a return?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: Trip Report 5/12 to 5/20 First time Part One

We too were underwhelmed by Coco Maya but as much as we like a good meal I don't travel to the Caribbean in search of great meals. Food is very subjective... we wouldn't eat at Hog Heaven ever again - twice and both times we wondered why we had driven there.

We are STJ folks (but moving to being VG peeps) & I agree that the people on VG seemed much nicer.

Red Bank, New Jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Trip Report 5/12 to 5/20 First time Part One

You are right Zubsin! Food is very subjective. I always hesitate to recommend places because of that.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Trip Report 5/12 to 5/20 First time Part One

Another STJ lover here who has become smitten with VG :)

I agree with the local comparison, VG locals are different. Another STJ lover made the observation to me that on VG, the locals are invested in their island - owning the businesses and/or working good jobs while on STJ, most are the workers at businesses owned by wealthy expats (I know being US citizens means they aren't technically expats but I don't have a better descriptor) and/or are competing with young, post college kids looking to check out of the real world for a while. I don't disagree with his assessment.

We did miss the STJ restaurants when on VG but not anymore. I do. To cook on vacation and going out every night is something we enjoy. The Tree House is a gem and The Upstairs at Leverick deserves more praise, it has been consistently great (for us) each visit. Otherwise, we have embraced the casual places.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
57 reviews
9. Re: Trip Report 5/12 to 5/20 First time Part One

cleobeach1 - the observation about VG v STJ locals seems right on to me now that you say that.

We ate in more this last trip than usual. I think I almost like it better since there is no need to "clean up". We had a pool at the villa we rented so that made it seem even more relaxed. We did lots of easy food. Getting "dressed" to go to Chez Bamboo was almost a chore but we did enjoy the evening. AND everyone in the group pitched in for prep and clean up...that might be the key

10. Re: Trip Report 5/12 to 5/20 First time Part One

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2018, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations