We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report -- From an "older" traveller

Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
256 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report -- From an "older" traveller

Just back from our "short" but lovely trip to Virgin Gorda. I've been taking my husband to a different island every year for his birthday, since the '80's, so we are quite well traveled. I thought I might offer a few comments (to those not on honeymoon or in their 20's and 30's) that might apply. Happy to answer any questions, as well.

Don't be depressed if after reading the reviews of the Baths or scaling Gorda's Peak, you think you can't visit this lovely, friendly island.

The Baths, do have an "easier" trail -- the exit one -- than the traditional through the water and between the rock crevices should you have a few extra pounds on you or be a bit out of shape. We did the "exit" trail -- just take your time (no, it's not 5 minutes like they say -- more like 15). If you decide not to do the Baths, you can go to nearby Spring Bay Beach. There's still a trail down the side of a hill, but it's much easier and once you are on the beach, you can see lots of boulders and even swim between some. These boulders are similar to the ones at the Baths.

Gorda's Peak says at the bottom of the steep staircase that it's 50 minutes to the summit. As if.

Here, again, don't feel sad if you can't do this. Not many can nor should they. Adventure seekers, marathon runners, and climbers. Mountain goats, only, in my opinion. So don't think you've missed the view. Instead, drive up to Hog's Heaven for some good bbq ribs and walk around their terrace, You will get a great view of 3/4's of the off shore islands, ocean, and boats. You will not break a sweat. You can enjoy your "adult" beverage in style.

You don't have to cook! Enough already. You've cooked how many meals in your lifetime? Get take out or instead go to one of the island's restaurants. Worried about driving and drinking? Take a cab. You can't beat Coco Maya and Chez Bamboo for fine dining. Lunch at Hog Heaven or Mermaid Dockside or Mad Dog, et al. Make reservations! It's your vacation, too.

I've done separate reports on the Olde Yard Village/Virgin Gorda Village where we stayed as well as restaurants we ate at and sights/beaches we visited, but happy to answer any questions...

7 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report -- From an "older" traveller

Nice report - my 87 year old mother used to do the Baths and Spring Bay all the time - I don't even do the steps to the top of the peak and I agree 100% with the Hog Heaven suggestion.

Pa.
Level Contributor
5,003 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report -- From an "older" traveller

Hog Heaven is on our list for October. I think a lot of places will be closed then??

PS: What is the most favorite island or 2 that you have visited?

Thanks!

Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report -- From an "older" traveller

So hard to say. The first place we went together was the Dutch side of St. Maartin so that holds special memories. We really enjoyed Curaçao, too. Barbados was the first time we tried an all-inclusive. In Aruba, we ran into a high school friend of my husband's so we got an insider's view. The most upscale place we've stayed was at the Raffles Hotel in Canouan (Petit St Vincent in the Grenadines). More recently, we stayed in a smaller beach hotel in St Bart's. We speak French and Spanish as well as English and each island has been a fun adventure... just to name a few.

Pa.
Level Contributor
5,003 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report -- From an "older" traveller

Don't you love the landing in St. Barts!!!! We were just in Statia and Saba and our AM flight was cancelled since one of the Winair pilots called off and when they found us a pilot, we had to stop in St. Barts on the way over to Saba. My husband was sooooo excited to do that landing, not that the Saba landing isn't fun enough. On his bucket list haha.

Sorry to hijack your TR, but that was a great memory!!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report -- From an "older" traveller

Thanks for your insight. You fit right in on virgin gorda. Most of the people that I know when I travel to virgin gorda are all older. I love it because at the age of 54 I am the kid in the group.

I think this is one of the reasons I love the island, it is an older crowd that goes there, in general.

I am hoping to be one of the snow birds that stay on island for a couple of months in the winter.

Did you take the Stoney bay trail out of the baths? It is the one that hugs the coast line. It is beautiful. We do that trail just for the fun of it and don't go near the baths!

Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report -- From an "older" traveller

Sorry. Don't know what the stony bay trail is... we paid our $3 and walked down the exit route...

Boston
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report -- From an "older" traveller

Stoney bay is a trail that intersects with the exit trail out of the baths.

Next time, when you see the sign for Stoney bay, take it. It is gorgeous!

Edited: 20 May 2017, 02:22
Reply to: Trip Report -- From an "older" traveller
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations