We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Boca Raton FL
Level Contributor
577 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

What is the latest update on mosquitoes on the French side.? Know Dutch side is better. Our cruise sent out a semi warning/advisory yesterday. Does anyone know if there will be an update by cruise lines. Ours said if it continues they will change ports..Know CDC is monitoring it, but do not want to be last ship there before they change

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
60 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

I was there 12-13 through 12-21 and we stayed on the French side in Cul De sac. I got eaten up by them there skeeters and I didn't come down with the virus so take that for what it's worth...

highlights to remember:

- The Dutch side is taking measures - fogging neighborhoods and what not with mosquito repellent/killer

- The virus is only carried by 1 particular species of mosquito, not all species

- Bring along some OFF or something and be prepared if you may need it, but for the most part if you're hanging around the beaches then the wind is sufficiently strong enough to keep tiny flying bugs away anyway

*Amateur advice/input from a fellow traveler

Boca Raton FL
Level Contributor
577 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

Well we are older. We were there then too. But, did not know about it and didnot get bitten...just lucky.

We are too old to take chances. Know they are taking measures. Would be drastic loss economically if they lose tourists...but not sure they will give notice. Will probably try to put it off for economic reasons.

"

3. Re: Mosquitoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten