We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some advice please....

San Jose, California
4 posts
Save Topic
Some advice please....

Just about to book a trip to St. Maarten for early August, myself, my son and a friend of his, both 18. Question is I am an aviation buff and want to stay close to Maho for a few nights and then move to less hectic part of the island, but not too quiet. Priorities are beach activities and enough nightlife to keep all entertained. Any recommendations on where to stay? 2 rooms are in the plan. I read all the negative reviews on most properties and don't want to get stuck in a bad place. 3-4 star is good.

Also is renting scooters a good idea for getting around. Seems the traffic and lack of parking make a car more of a hassle.

Thanks in advance!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some advice please....

http://www.endless-vacation-rentals.com/

Check this site for availability and for "Last Minute Vacations" savings - over 200,000 properties worldwide.

Maho area would be good for viewing planes, Sonesta Resort for a couple of nights, maybe Mary's Boon Beach Planatation, they have a rooftop observation deck.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,401 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some advice please....

Scooters are a death trap here. Be safe, get the car.

San Jose, California
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Some advice please....

Thanks for the tips, no scooters then. Thinking of a few days a Maho Resort and then some time at either Divi or Oyster Bay resorts. This should give a good overall experience of the island, should be enough activities to keep all busy. Now just hoping it doesn't rain all the time! Cheers.

West Chester...
Level Contributor
178 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some advice please....

we spent a week at oyster bay resort-good central location for getting around the island. Good snorkling at Dawn Beach, but still very close to many other beaches.3-4 star property.Canoa and Big Fish good restaurant choices and Mama Pizza or pizza place at Mr Busbys for more casual dining.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some advice please....

if you're only in sxm for a week changing resorts is a waste of precious time imo. the island is small enough so that no matter where you stay (especially during the low season of august when traffic is down) you will have access to the whole island and everything it offers. i wouldn't want to waste of a day changing resorts and having to be out of one in the morning and perhaps not even having access to a room at the other until much later in the day. also be wary of oyster bay beach resort. it is a 3 star at best and a number of the building have NOT been renovated. those units range from "adequate" to downright "horrid" conditions. don't be fooled by the website photos which are the "new" building. we love the area and OBBR could be a top notch small resort BUT until all rooms have been completely redone we wouldn't chance it again. the westin (while lacking in carribean ambience) is on the opposite side of dawn beach and is a true 4 star resort. You may also want to look at princess heights condos in oyster bay area.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Some advice please....

Staying in the Simpson Bay or Maho area with 18 year olds is a good plan. Check out the Royal Palm, Flamingo or even the Simpson Bay Resort. The latter has gotten a lot of negative press lately but really, if you choose your room wisely, you can get a great deal there. Lots of activity for that age group. I will actually be there early August with a group which will include about 6 people age 18-22.

San Jose, California
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Some advice please....

hi justbeachy..thanks for the comments. what is the problem with the Simpson Bay Resort? Would you not recommend the Maho Resort? Sounds like you have good experience and will also have your hands full in early August! May be we will see you on the beach!

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Some advice please....

The Simpson Bay Resort used to be the Pelican Resort. It's a timeshare resort that also has rooms for rent. The older part of the resort has issues with some rooms not being updated for awhile. The newer building, the marina villas, is beautiful though and many people love it. We will actually be in our timeshare unit on the beach. It's part of the older buildings but I love the beachfront location and although it could use an upgrade it's fine for us. I love the location of this resort because it's nearby to a lot of activity and restaurants. The Flamingo right next door is also good. The Royal Palm last year at the same time was very lively and had lots of the younger crowd there on kareoke night. I have never stayed in the Maho area but we frequently go out to dinner there at night. It's a quick drive from Simpson Bay to Maho. That area would be great also with your age group but I can't comment on the hotels there since we've never been. If you rent a car, and you really should, you'll be able to go back and forth although I'm hearing traffic there is pretty bad this year due to road construction.

San Jose, California
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Some advice please....

Hi all...looks like the 2 choices for accommodations is down to Sonest Resort or the Flamingo..any pro's or con's and choice between the two?

At Home in the UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some advice please....

Depends on what accomodatio you are looking for but there are one or two apartments in the Royal Islander La Plage or La Terrasse which overlook the threshold at Maho beach.

Take a look on HomeAway, VRBO etc - just search for Maho.

For example:

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p455571

www.royalislander.com/index.php…

Enjoy.