We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodations Travel Advice / Suggestions

Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodations Travel Advice / Suggestions

My girlfriend and I plan on spending 2 weeks in St Maarten/ St Martin in late January . For one of the weeks were going to stay at L'Esplanade or GCBC based on all the positive reviews. We also like the fact that we can walk to Grand Case and enjoy the fine dining/ night life.We were considering staying on the Dutch side for the other week but what would be the equivalent to L'Esplanade or GCBC on the Dutch side ? I cant seem to find a hotel / resort that has equally good reviews across the board . It would also be a benefit if the resort was walking distance to good nightlife / restaurants and have a good beach . We do plan on renting a car . On a different subject my girlfriend loves playing beach volleyball can anyone suggest where she might be able to find a game? would Orient beach have something ?

Thanks everyone !

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,919 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodations Travel Advice / Suggestions

Really hard to find one to match those two, they tend to be larger properties but do look at this list to see if one meets your requirements - some on Dutch side, some French side.

Edited: 27 September 2010, 08:30
St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodations Travel Advice / Suggestions

I just wanted to warn you that the reviews on Trip Advisor can be VERY, VERY misleading. From what I have seen on the reviews (based on our rental condo for example) I have received fourteen 5-star reviews and yet Trip Advisor's reviews of the exact same complex are almost all negative which shows that it all depends on many circumstances. This is why I refuse to advertise our individual condo on Trip Advisor and have advertised elsewhere.

My advice would be to go to VRBO or any other reputable site and start reading the reviews of the individual owners and not base your impressions on Trip Advisor. I know for a fact that one review for our complex that was posted was only written to spite the management of the complex (ie, owner to management) and another was written by a young child. Another was written many years back when the owner of that condo was renting his condo illegally and was not following the rules of the complex. The reviews from this website continue to haunt me and so I feel it's my duty to let you know that not all things appear as they truly are.

Good luck in your search!

3. Re: Accomodations Travel Advice / Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2011, 17:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor