We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from a wonderful trip

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Just back from a wonderful trip

My husband and I arrived in St. Maarten on 2/17/2010 for our 10 trip to paradise. We had never been here before so we knew very little what to expect. I had been obsessed with tripadvisor for the 6 months leading up to thr trip and admit that I had some reservations about whether we were coming to the right place. Of course were were worried about crime, but we had not one bit of trouble with that. In fact we always felt very safe. Ok, so we arrived at the Divi Little Bay Resort mid-day and check in went very smoothly. We are not timeshare owners or know anyone that owns one here so we booked this on our own. the Bellhop was there with a golf cart and drove us and out luggage up to our room. We were at the top of a hill, but not very last building on the top of the hill thank goodness. We had to carry our luggage 4 flights up, but I must add that the Bellhop did ask us if we needed help and we declined. Our room was a Studio Suite with a kitchen, a king sized bed and a huge bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub that didn't have working jets. The room was very nice and extrememly clean. We spent the first 3 nights at the resort to get used to the grounds. We ate at the BBQ dinner on Thursday nights. It was pricey and just ok. The ribs were really good, but the rest of the food was just average. The entertainment that night was good though. There are not many young people at this resort and found ourselves hanging out with people our parents age, which was ok. We like everybody! We took a walk into Phillipsburg on Saturday to meet me sister who was coming in on a cruise ship. The walk there was very easy and only about 12-15 minutes. The way back is a little more rough as the hill is quite steep and long! (It doesn't help when you've had several mudslides and Carib's all day long). We met my sister easily and took a taxi to Orient Beach for the day. It was a very cloudy day and ended up raining on us, but with many beach bars lined up we kept dry and had some drinks. After a few hours we went back to Phillipsburg and had lunch at Fisherman's Bar and Grill right on the beach. It was cheap and good! Monday we went to Simpson Beach and watched the planes come in. Go between 1-4 and the big ones will come in around then. That was awesome! We had a late lunch at Pinneapple Petes. It was wonderful and we had the best gouper sandwich EVER! Tuesday we took the Edge ferry to St. Barths. The ride over was very bumpy-I threw up, but I was not the only one! Thank goodness it was only 45 minutes to get there. Once there we shopped a little and then took an island tour that dropped up off and St. Jean beach. It was beautiful and peaceful. We did not ever want to leave there! The ferry ride back was much more enjoyable! Wednesday we shopped all day in Phillipsburg. It was busy down there, but found some really good deals on local liquor. I love that the alcohol there is so cheap!! We had lunch at the Greenhouse and again it was so good! The fish on this island is amazing! So fresh. Thursday we took the Bluebeard to Anguilla. The ride over was smooth and relaxing. I had high hopes for Anquilla as I had heard the beaches here are the best. We went to Shoal Bay East and was very dissappointed. The water was amazing, but the sand is horrible. It is white, but definately not powdery. It was made up of broken shells and made it very uncomfortable to walk the beach. The island is not a pretty island, but I'm still glad we went to see what it was all about. If wavy water and shelly sand is what you're all about then this is the place for you. Friday the 26th was our last full day at the Divi. We spent it relaxing. That night we went to the Gingerbread Cafe for dinner. The Gingerbread Cafe is at the Belair hotel right next to the Divi. We went there a few times and had wonderful, reasonably priced food. Our last dinner we went all out and got the 1.5 pound Saba grilled lobster with their amazing rice. I have never had lobster quite like this! Their BBQ ribs are excellent also! Then sadly on Saturday we had to check out. Again it went smoothly.

All in all, this was the trip we imagined it would be. It was relaxing, but there were a lot of things to do if we wanted. We had no trouble with the staff at the resort. Eugene in the activities office was the BEST! She was so nice and helpful! We felt so safe, infact we felt more safe here than we do in some parts of our state...and we live in IOWA! We took precautions and bought a dri-pack online to put our money in while we were at the beach instead of leaving it in our bag. My husband wore it in the pockets of his swim trunks and everything stayed dry and safe with us!

To anyone nervous about going here, don't be. Just be smart and have fun! We will definately be back someday.

Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from a wonderful trip

Great detail on your week in St. Martin...and St. Barth's and Anguilla. You really got around. Thanks for taking the time to write up your experience in such depth. Sounds like you had a great time both on your own and with the bonus of meeting up with your sister. It is so much more fun to share travel experiences with others in person than just through pictures and stories. What I liked is you just went with what the day brought you - older people, rough ferry ride over to St. Barth's, rain at Orient Beach and had fun each day regardless. St. Jean is a beautiful beach and I know what you mean about not wanting to leave. I like Shoal Bay East a little better than you did, but there are plenty of beaches for everyone to find which are most appealing to them. Glad you enjoyed your trip and shared it with the rest of us.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from a wonderful trip

wow..Shoal Bay must have changed since we were last there. I remember the sand being soft and powdery. Sounds like you had a great time. Enjoyed your report.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from a wonderful trip

thanks for the great report!

4. Re: Just back from a wonderful trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2010, 14:18