We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attire

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
56 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Attire

Staying for a week at the Bay Gardens Beach Resort.

Can I leave my blazer and long pants home?

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,488 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attire

You can leave the blazer at home. I would take a pair of khaki's with you as some of the nicer restaurants prefer that you wear slacks and collared shirts (golf shirts) although I'm sure you could get away with nice shorts but I just find them tacky when going for a nice dinner.

BC
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Attire

I don't disagree with Nevera very often but I do this time. I do not wear long pants, shoes or socks for the entire 4 months I am in St Lucia and no restaurant including Bay Gardens Beach Resort has ever refused my money. I believe that politeness, cleanliness and a healthy respect for others is far more important than long pants, shoes and socks.

madison wisconsin
Level Contributor
926 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attire

Yeah, I know that some of the AI resorts, like Sandals, etc., require long pants, no sandals, etc., at some of their restaurants, but I find at BGBR and other restaurants around Rodney Bay there's really no required dress code, so completely up to you.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,488 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attire

Guess I should clarify my response. I never said they'd be refused service. I said I thought it was tacky - which is my personal opinion - if one wore shorts to nicer restaurants. I said I was sure they could get away with nice shorts. The nicer restaurants I was referring to are more like the restaurant at Cap Maison, Rainforest Hideaway, Coal Pot. I don't know where they plan on dining even if they are staying at Bay Gardens Beach Resort. Guess I'm more formal but it probably comes from where I live, which is a tourist area in the mountains, where no one ever wears more than a pair of jeans for anything - I get tired of the look.

BC
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Attire

Nevera

I think that your dress code opinion is distorted by the fact that you grew up in Rhode Island staring at all those sailors in their cute, white tight pants.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,488 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attire

Might be right! Those cutie sailors all around Newport -- brings back memories.

Edited: 24 March 2011, 08:41
Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attire

Hi,

One benefit of packing a pair of long pants is that they can help keep the mozzies at bay.

Otherwise there is no absolute need but I agree with Nevara that on some occasions you may wish to wear them.

STEVE

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attire

Nevera. Photos please!!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,488 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attire

I'll work on the photos.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,255 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Attire

Bon jou NYC67,

Leave the blazer & pants home. Bring some ting mo stylin'. You're in Loosha, mon, respect the ladies.

Bless up! Paul