We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gros Islet Honeymoon

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Gros Islet Honeymoon

We are looking to honeymoon in Gros Islet and stay at the Cap Maison in late September early October. I am not familiar with St. Lucia at all. I wanted to know about how long it takes to get around St. Lucia we definitely want to visit other parts of the island and want to know if Cap Maison is in an isolated area or if we will be able to tour the rest of the island and not travel for over 45 minutes - 1 hour. Thank you!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Gros Islet
Gros Islet
St. Lucia
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
822 Reviews
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gros Islet Honeymoon

You will definitely be traveling no matter where you stay on the island. Cap Maison is at the far North of the island, kind of isolated and close to things in the North but 1-1/2 hours away from the Pitons. If you stay in the South near the Pitons the reverse is true. Travel on the island takes time due to its mountainous nature.

Mentioned in this post
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
822 Reviews
St. Lucia
Pitons
Pitons
1,675 Reviews
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,635 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gros Islet Honeymoon

nevera is right - no matter where you stay on island, you'll be travelling for a while to get to any other area on theisland. Mountain and twisty, narrow roads don't lend themselves to rapid transit! Boat tours are a great option - it gets you there faster than the roads and the scenery is awesome!

Cap Maison is beautiful, but somewhat isolated, even with being in the more populated end of the island. No walking to other restaurants or sights.

Don't let it put you off - St. Lucia is gorgeous and definitely worth the visit! Even with travel taking upwards of an hour or so - the ride itself is beautiful with plenty to see on the way - it's not just an empty freeway!

Congratson your upcoming wedding and enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
822 Reviews
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gros Islet Honeymoon

Thanks for the very useful information!! It is greatly appreciated!

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gros Islet Honeymoon

Allow aroun 2hours to drive down to the Soufriere area which is very beautiful pecking at chartering a boat for the day.

Mentioned in this post
Soufriere
Soufriere
St. Lucia
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gros Islet Honeymoon

Cap Maison is not in a very good location for a base from which to explore the island. As mentioned you will be traveling a fair amount no matter where you stay, however depending on what you like to do off resort some locations are better than others.

IMO Cap Maison is nice but for such a romantic occasion there is no better area in which to stay than Soufriere - it is spectacularly scenic and lush with tropical foliage - the most beautiful region of the island. And there is plenty to see and do off the resorts.

Mentioned in this post
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
822 Reviews
St. Lucia
Soufriere
Soufriere
St. Lucia
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Gros Islet Honeymoon

Can I perhaps suggest a 2 centre vacation whilst you are in St Lucia. We partner with Ladera in the south and we have a package which is called "Peak to Beach" which offers you the opportunity of exloring he whole of the island in one trip.

Kind Regards

Ross

Ross Stevenson

General Manager- Cap Maison

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
1,357 Reviews
St. Lucia
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
822 Reviews
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,635 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gros Islet Honeymoon

I would also suggest a splitting your honeymoon between the 2 destinations, although, I would probably start in the north of the island and end in the South, by the Pitons. Ladera is a beautiful resort above the Pitons with amazing views and great food - if you are set on Cap Maison, then a partner deal with the 2 hotels may be the way to go. The only drawback I see to that package idea is the all-inclusive aspect of it, you really would miss out on some excellent dining options - Hotel Chocolat, Jalousie's Great Room, Anse chastenet's Trou Diable in Soufriere, plus the myriad of place in Rodney Bay and Castries for fine dining, along with all of the great local food restaurants!

However, if the goal is to mainly stay around your hotel and simply relax together, then the package between Cap and Ladera is a great option! Or, maybe you could do the package without the all-inclusive aspect?

Either way, I would definitely second and third the suggestions to look in the Soufriere area for your honeymoon - it is without a doubt the most beautiful and romatic area on the island, the views are simply amazing from pretty much anywhere around the Pitons.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

Mentioned in this post
Pitons
Pitons
1,675 Reviews
St. Lucia
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
1,357 Reviews
St. Lucia
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
822 Reviews
St. Lucia
Soufriere
Soufriere
St. Lucia
Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay
996 Reviews
St. Lucia
Castries
Castries
St. Lucia
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
14 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gros Islet Honeymoon

I also agree with the north-south split idea. My wife and I just returned from a trip where we started in the south - near Soufriere and the Pitons - and ended in the north - near Rodney Bay. The taxi or car ride from the north to the south is very long and a little harrowing. You'll most likely do this from the Hewanorra airport to the north when you arrive. That was why we started in the south - quicker transfer from the airport to our first hotel. (We stayed at La Haut, a wonderful quiet place above Soufriere.) From the Soufriere area you can do a variety of easy day trips and see the sights without the long ride from the north. The south is quieter and less developed and has a different pace. The north around Castries and Rodney Bay is quite built up with lots of traffic. There's even a rush hour in Castries, which can add 1/2 an hour to the trip up or down the island. An alternative is to use a water taxi. There are quite a few of them and if the weather's good, it can be a fun way to see things from the water. Best wishes!

Mentioned in this post
Soufriere
Soufriere
St. Lucia
Pitons
Pitons
1,675 Reviews
St. Lucia
Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay
996 Reviews
St. Lucia
Castries
Castries
St. Lucia
9. Re: Gros Islet Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 21:17