We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

St...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Money

We're coming from the UK - is it better to bring the caribbean dollars with us, or just pounds and have them exchanged in St Lucia? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,169 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

You'll get a better exchange rate on the island at one of the banks.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

There are ATM machines in rodney bay and the exchange rate will be better than that in the uk.

Essex, uk
Level Contributor
469 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

Sorry to jump on your post but also wanted to know if the USD is widely accepted. We usually go to Jamaica and take very little JMD and mostly USD. Would it be the same thing in St Lucia??

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,783 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

yes, USD is readily accepted, although, unless you change in a bank, you will get a $1- $2.5Ec street exchange rate. In a bank or from the ATM, $1-$2.67. Change will always be in EC. ATMs are readily available pretty much everywhere, just let your bank know you will be in St. Lucia, otherwise, your card may not work.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Essex, uk
Level Contributor
469 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

Thanks reedprincess, just like Jamaica then. I will be taking mostly USD as I assume Sandals is the same and charge in USD anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
New Brunswick
Level Contributor
203 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

Do the vendors on the beach accept USD funds for excursions?

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,169 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

Vendors will accept USD but as mentioned you'll get a better deal if you use East Caribbean Dollars (XCD)

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money

@UKChick there's no point getting USD if you're from the UK. For Sandals room tab it is better to use a credit card anyway, no cash required. For other expenses you might as well cut the middle man and go straight for ECD. The only reason to take USD really, is if you have some left over from previous holidays. Otherwise, take sterling and exchange to ECD when you get there, or use a card in an ATM.

Essex, uk
Level Contributor
469 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money

chesebrgr I have made that mistake before. Sandals charge in USD so if I take ECD with me then they then do the exchange rate again to USD, I ended up paying exchange rate twice. CC has a charge of about 4% plus exchange rate. Think so will stick with the mostly USD and some ECD

10. Re: Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2012, 17:16