We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better; Sandals Grande or The BodyHoliday

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
85 reviews
Which is better; Sandals Grande or The BodyHoliday

Hi there!

My fiancée and I are planning are honeymoon for June and having been looking at different resorts around St.Lucia. We're spending a week in the Galapagos Island and then plan to spend a week in a nice all inclusive beach resort in St.Lucia. So far the two which have stood out are Sandals Grande and The BodyHoliday. The Sandals resort seems to be a lot bigger with better restaurant options while The BodyHoliday seems more intimate and offers a better variety of included activities, e.g. free spa treatments everyday. On our holiday company is also offering us an additional $250 each of additional spa treatments which sounds pretty cool!

If anyone has been to both it'd be great to get your view as haven't been able to find any comparisons on TA. Additionally if you think there's somewhere better which we might have missed pleased do let us know. We'd definitely like to be near a very nice 'picture perfect' beach.

Many thanks for your help!

DoobyUK

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Which is better; Sandals Grande or The BodyHoliday

The spa treatments seem to be a big attraction for you. If you'll use them, then I'd go for that. But can you really use $250 each per day plus the included?!

Yes you do get a lot of restaurant options at Sandals, especially considering you can dine at all 3 resorts. If you are put off by the size and build-up-ness of the Grande then maybe take a look at the Halcyon.

I think it would come down to a choice of, do you prefer more dining options, or included spa treatments. And price, of course :)

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Which is better; Sandals Grande or The BodyHoliday

Wow - sounds like a great honeymoon. I'm interested in the flights you're taking - the Galapagos to St Lucia can't be easy! Anyone who considers the Galapagos for their honeymoon should really stay in the Soufriere area of St Lucia.

I do think you'll find the Sandals Grande too big - there are over 300 rooms (so 600+ guests) in a smallish site but with a nice beach. I think the BH is much smaller and I've read that the food is good so although there may be fewer options the food may be better. The 'somewhere better' I would suggest is the Jalousie Plantation in the Soufriere region which does indeed have that 'picture perfect ' beach right between the Pitons - the iconic image of St Lucia. The hotel is set in 100 acres of rainforest tppe vegetation with only 40ish villas/rooms dotted around the hillside and some on the beach. All the villas/rooms have their own private plunge pool and all are served by butlers. They're not an AI resort but they do offer that option. There are many free activities such as snorkelling right off the beach, hobie cats, tennis, etc etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: Which is better; Sandals Grande or The BodyHoliday

Thanks for the information guys. I suppose the spa treatments aren't the biggest attraction, it's just having the option of having them included in case you wanted to use it.

The flight from the Galapagos is a bit of a mare! The only way we've found is to fly from Ecuador to Miami, from there we're in transit for a couple of hours before getting our connecting flight to St.Lucia, it's definitely added some extra cost to the honeymoon! I'll also check out the Soufriere area. I hadn't seen the Jalousie Plantation but it sounds great, thanks for that mw104. I'm liking the sound of a private villa, plunge pool and Jeeves at your calling!!

Thanks again for your help guys.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
785 reviews
4. Re: Which is better; Sandals Grande or The BodyHoliday

Wow, what a great honeymoon!!! you may need those extra spa treatment from all that air travel...LOL!

Look forward to what you ultimately decide on. We really enjoyed LeSport (great spa treatments), but plan on going to Sandals Grande (like the diving as well as option to go to 2 other resort, including one with golf course) next year.

Congratulations!!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
14,127 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Which is better; Sandals Grande or The BodyHoliday

tough call - more dining choices with Sandals and their Stay at 1 Play at all 3, along with more pools and beaches.

BodyHoliday is more intimate, much smaller resort and has a sister resort in Rendezvous, about 25 minutes away by car which you have exchange privileges with, however you have to provide your own transport - but at least more dining and pool and beach options there too. Both have great, great food.

Bodyholiday and there included spa treatments are wonderful and I could easily spend another $250 on additional treatments while there - last time we went was for 4 days and I easily spent that amount on additional treatments even after the hour included treatment. There are so many other treatments available - it's not just massage!

BodyHoliday recently completed a $20+ million dollar rennovation, so everything is new and updated. They have a million activities to choose from - or feel free to do nothing at all.

Sandals are great too, lots of activities, lovely beach at the Grande.

Again - it's a tough call, but personally, we would go to BodyHoliday over Sandals pretty much all the time, mainly for the smaller, more intimate property, you really feel like the staff cares about you and their job. Personal preference.

Both are great properties, you wouldn't go wrong with either one.

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
85 reviews
6. Re: Which is better; Sandals Grande or The BodyHoliday

Thanks reedprincess, appreciate your comments. I'm hoping to get either place booked by the end of the week so will have a good think tonight. Similar to you I like the idea of having somewhere a bit more intimate so BodyHoliday appeals a bit more. The only other option is to come again next year and stay at Sandals!! :)

I'll keep you posted with our decisions.

Thanks!

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Which is better; Sandals Grande or The BodyHoliday

Have you looked at the traveller's photos of the hotels (in addition to reading the reviews) you're considering - that will give you an idea of what the properties are like. I have to admit I've discovered that the BH is more built up than I imagined - just looking at the photos.

Also, according to a recent review, they seem to have a problem the sand they imported - the JP also has imported sand as the natural sand in St Lucia is dark. I haven't noticed any problems with the sand at the JP.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,488 posts
127 reviews
8. Re: Which is better; Sandals Grande or The BodyHoliday

If you are coming to St Lucia from the Galapagos I think you will be very disappointed in Body Holiday and the Grande. It's going to be a huge letdown from an ecological standpoint. I agree with mw104 that you should consider the Soufriere area and have a look at Jalousie Plantation or Anse Chastanet for your honeymoon. Cost is similar to the two resorts you are currently considering but location is much more spectacular.

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
85 reviews
9. Re: Which is better; Sandals Grande or The BodyHoliday

Hi nevera, thanks for your advice about looking at Soufriere. I'll have a good read through all the reviews and then take it from there. I suppose after doing the whole ecological in the Galapagos it would be nice to do something different. Soufriere does look amazing!! And I'd also read about the issues with the sand at BH.

Thanks for your help!

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: Which is better; Sandals Grande or The BodyHoliday

The Soufriere area is definitely the most picturesque - you don't want your stay in St Lucia to be a let down after your trip to the Galapagos. You can still have luxury there.