We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Update/Trip Report

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Island Update/Trip Report

We are taking off this morning after 17 days on our favorite island.

Overall, we found conditions on Vieques much better than we had anticipated.

We were happy to be the first guests since Maria at Cima del Mundo, a beautiful property perched atop a ridge. It has a pool, strong wifi, beatiful ocean views and a back up generator among its many amenities. No TV, because Maria took the dish. We've enjoyed audio over the bluetooth speaker.

Beaches open: Sun Bay, Media Luna, Navio, and Playa Negra. On the reserve: Caracas, Playuela, Pata Prieta. All the noth side beaches are open. There are lots of fish and turtles under Mosquito Pier. We saw a sting ray yesterday!

Many restaurants are open, including Duffy's, Banana's, Bili, el Blok, el Yate, Tsumami, Bieke's Bistro, Coqui Fire, Monasonga and the Tin Box to name a few. There are also numerous food trucks, small cafe/bars and, of course, Chicken King and Aurora's chicken.

We alternated going out to eat with cooking fish or lobster from the pescaderia at home. We've had no trouble getting onion, garlic, limes and mangos for a nice mango chutney for the fish. We've shopped at both Morales markets and at the farmer's market, which is open Tuesdays and, I think, Thursdays.

We have used more credit cards than cash, but bring cash just in case.

Car rentals are available.

We have not experienced any gas lines.

We've been drinking tap water with no ill effect.

There have been power outages, some a few hours and some for half the day or night. However, we were only left in the dark with a lantern and candles for one hour out of the entire trip because of the back up generator. (The property manager who starts the generator was off site when that one hit.)

We've become very aware of how we use energy, knowing that overuse can affect the entire island. I've air dried my hair and we use A.C. very sparingly. We open the windows and use fans to bring in the cool night air, then close up when the day starts to heat up.

My only disappointment had nothing to do with Maria. Some beaches on the south side have a lot of seaweed in the water and on the shore, but I'm told that's part of the natural cycle and it will clear out soon. (No seaweed on Sun Bay or Caracas.)

The first few days the streets were jammed with big trucks hauling storm debris to a barge on Mosquito Pier and brush and tree limbs to a compost site on the Reserve. Things calmed down immensely after the barge set sail.

Work crews can still be seen clearing brush along the roadsides. Flocks of cattle egrets follow them to feast on the bugs that were hiding beneath the brush.

What would I have done differently?

Pack less. Also, I would have broiled the lobster on an outside gas grill rather than boil it because a power outage could have delayed dinner.

All Vieques needs is more tourists to take the plunge.

I hope this helps. Now we are off to the airport!

37 replies to this topic
Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Island Update/Trip Report

Thanks for this great review. Yes, we all need more Tourists , that's the best way to help Puerto Rico, Vieques and Culebra ,so People can get to a normal life and support them self.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Island Update/Trip Report

excellent report, thank you very much.

great insights.

17 days is so nice.

Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Island Update/Trip Report

Pity about the sargasso and that La Chiva is still closed. But otherwise, this is an excellent report. I go in Late June for my 9th straight year.

4 posts
4. Re: Island Update/Trip Report

Thank you for this update! Me and my family are heading to Vieques for the very first time next month and we're very excited!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Island Update/Trip Report

You will have a blast.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Island Update/Trip Report

I'm heading to VQS in June for 10 days. Does anyone have an update on the biobay? If it's healthy and glowing, we'd like to take a tour while we're there for the new moon.

Thanks.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Island Update/Trip Report

When we were there, locals told me the biobay was at about 60 percent of full luminescence, which is great since it went dark after Maria. I didn't go this time because we were there at the wrong phase of the moon. An acquaintance told me she had a good experience the week before I arrived. In short, if you've seen the biobay at 100 percent in the past, you might be underwhelmed. But if this is your first trip and you have the benefit of a new moon, I'd say go for it.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Island Update/Trip Report

Thank you. I've been in the biobay a few years ago, but no one from the rest of my party of 10 people have been, so hopefully they'll be impressed. I think we'll give it a shot if we can find someone to take us on the night of the new moon next month.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Island Update/Trip Report

Does anyone know if the farmers market truck has returned to their location on 201, and if so, what days are they there?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Island Update/Trip Report

The farmer's, market is well stocked and open Tuesdays and Thursdays for sure ... maybe Fridays, too, but I'm not positive.

Reply to: Island Update/Trip Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques