We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Yunque : Transportation & Tips needed

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
20 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
El Yunque : Transportation & Tips needed

I will be staying in Puerto Rico for 8 nights : 4 nights in Fajardo and 4 Nights in Old San Juan.

I heard about EL Yunque rain forest and I want to arrange a visit.

I need to know which is better ; to go from Fajardo or from San Juan and how much would it cost in each case ( which route would be cheaper ?!)

I need to know if I need to have a guide with me or it is safe and I can make a tour by myself .

Does anyone know any trusted freelance guide for that forest.

I need to know which trail leads to the water falls ( I know there might be multiple ones...I need an average one not a too long trail )

How much would it take to explore El Yunque in an average manner

Appreciate all the tips and advices.

Thanks.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Yunque : Transportation & Tips needed

I am answering this in conjunction with your other post asking about transport to / from El Con in Fajardo.

First off, for your Fajardo leg of your trip at least you will need to rent a car. The cost of the hotel shuttle and any taxis / private drivers you would take to see local attractions will far exceed what you will pay for a rental.

Taxis are not allowed in El Yunque so a car or a tour are the only ways to go. A car is by far the better option. You can drive to the Welcome Center which is about 30 min max from the El Con. There they will provide you with maps and advice as to which trails are best for you. From there you drive 3 to 6 km up the mountain to one of the trail heads, park and enjoy your hike. A tour really adds little other than being surrounded by a group of 20 or so going on it, detracting from the peach and solitude of the forest.

2. Re: El Yunque : Transportation & Tips needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about El Yunque National...