We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to San Juan, looking for recom on locations, hote

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to San Juan, looking for recom on locations, hote

We are planning a two or three night stay in San Juan in Feb 2012. (stopping on the way south)

Our son will be 6 yo at the time of the trip and he enjoys pirates, anything that could remotely be associated with pirates like historic neighborhoods and buildings.

I know very little about the city and at this point, all I know is that we will like to visit the fort(s).

My first thought was to stay in the Old City area. Is the Old City walkable and safe? We are not night owls but would like to be able to get a nice dinner in the evening without spending a lot of time cabbing around the city.

Also, does anyone have guide book recommendations (or websites)?

Thanks.

Rincon,PR
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to San Juan, looking for recom on locations, hote

Have a look at The Puerto Rico Tourism website:

http://www.seepuertorico.com/

seepuertorico.com/deals-prtc/summer_promotio…

This will give you a good start.

Enjoy!

Dublin, GA
Level Contributor
284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to San Juan, looking for recom on locations, hote

We stayed in Old San Juan for a night and day before a cruise in early April. We loved it! It is very walkable, and we felt very safe, including after supper time. There is a children's museum your son might enjoy. We didn't visit it, but it was very near our apartment.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to San Juan, looking for recom on locations, hote

Staying in OSJ is great. It is a wonderful, walkable place. You may want to check out El Convento (it has a pool).

All the restaurants open at 5'ish for dinner,so you can go early

I am partial to my website: www.PRDayTrips.com. A number of guidebooks (and even the PR Tourism Company!) uses it as a reference when writing their own info. Unlike those writers, I have been there, done that.

Your son will love the forts. Fort San Cristobal has a cool dungeon and try to get on the Tunnels Tour, where he can learn about how they defended against the invaders.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to San Juan, looking for recom on locations, hote

That hotel is actually at the top of my list! I read on their website about the tunnel tours.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
498 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to San Juan, looking for recom on locations, hote

I'm sure he'll have a blast in old San Juan specially at the fort. I think you would like El Convento and your son should as well due to the historic nature of the hotel.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to San Juan, looking for recom on locations, hote

I just booked Caleta 64. Haven't stayed there yet, but the reviews are excellent. We, too, are looking forward to a family adventure for a couple of days in Old Dan Juan. I have two boys, younger than yours, and we are just becoming pirate obsessed.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to San Juan, looking for recom on locations, hote

I didn't see anything on the El Convento web site about a "tunnels tour".

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to San Juan, looking for recom on locations, hote

elconvento.com/explore-san-juan/forts-or-mus…

It is just a blurb about guides and tunnels.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to San Juan, looking for recom on locations, hote

Your son will definitely love the forts in Old San Juan. Here is a link with information on the Tunnels tours nps.gov/saju/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm. The best place to stay in Old San Juan is Hotel El Convento, they are close to everything in the city and the service is top notch. Also there is a Childrens Museum across the street form the Old San Juan Cathedral that you and your son should check when you visit.

USA
Level Contributor
168 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to San Juan, looking for recom on locations, hote

As far as I know, NONE of the hotels in Old San Juan have beaches. If you would like your hotel to be on the beach or close to a beach, you can stay in the Condado area of San Juan. You can walk to many restaurants, and take a city bus or cab to get to Old San Juan, about a 15 minute ride.

For the forts, my kids preferred San Cristobal over El Morro, because the former had more nooks and crannies to explore.