We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas Prices

Washington DC
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Gas Prices

Hi everyone,

We're vacationing right now in PR, and we keep seeing gas prices for around 70 cents! Can this be right? Is it 70 cents a gallon? We just can't fathom that it's that cheap (this could drive one to move here).

Thanks

san juan,Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gas Prices

yes, it is 70 cents the LITER. Different measurement than in the US which uses gallons.

san juan,Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gas Prices

The US is still the only country along with other 2 , Liberia in Africa and Burma in Asia, who still use gallon as a measurement of unit of volume, the rest of the world uses Litre or Liter which belongs to the Metric System

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Gas Prices

No, it’s 70 cents a litter. The difference is rally big. Our gas price is almost the same as the one in the states more or less $3.00. Sorry for your confusion.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gas Prices

Im not sure of the conversion from gallon to liter, so im not sure exactly how much gas is worth here if it were gallons. But, a friend of mine from Florida told me that he was surprised, because after all it is cheaper here, and youd think things being how they are, it would be more expensive here. Also, the other day, I read that the gas in Puerto Rico is cheaper then in any other state.

-Ricky

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gas Prices

I could be wrong, so if I am, my bad. But I think that if the liter is at 70 cents, its about a little less than $2.00 ($1.84 more or less).

If someone knows for sure, let us know.

PR
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gas Prices

I think there's 4 liters in a gallon.

Level Contributor
1,109 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gas Prices

One liter is just slightly more then a quart, so for sake of comparisson, 4 liters would be a close equivalent to a gallon. Therefore 70 cents a liter is about $2.80 per gallon.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gas Prices

Good to know. Good thing I came here before going out to give someone my version of conversions 101.

san juan,Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gas Prices

Our gas is cheaper than in the US, it has always been and still is

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gas Prices

actually conversion is aproximately 3.5 L to the gallon rounding out at about 2.50 per gallon. The reason gas is a little cheaper here is because the government buy crude oil instead of processed. We take the crude and convert it into gasoline in one of three processing plants here on the island. The processed as is then distributed all over at the lowest available price. Most gas in the states is also processed but it gets shipped all over the nation in its prepared form and therefore you have to pay for that extra coverage.

thats my explanation to why gas is cheaper here :)

example : gas on culebra and vieques is more expensive on the mainland, I also believe we supply processed gasoline to our neighbors in the US VI, therefore they have to pay for the extra transport costs and have a higher gas price.