We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liberty Travel

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
711 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Liberty Travel

Correct me if im wrong, but i had the absolute worst experience with Liberty Travel booking this trip.

Maybe it was just my agent, maybe it was just this location, I dont know...

Not discouraged, just wont book through them again...

Anyone else have problems with them?

Jersey Girl
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Liberty Travel

What was the problem?

Prince Frederick...
Level Contributor
358 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liberty Travel

I never had a problem with Liberty Travel. I deal with the travel agency quite often. I have a great agent. I am actually going to Negril, Jamaica in November 07. I am looking forward to the trip. I have been to Ocho Rios and Montego Bay.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liberty Travel

Booked this trip in Dec 06, made my final payment last night. Basically the agent handed me a pen to write out my check, and thats it....didnt ask if i had questions, (which i had tons), didnt say 'have a nice trip', didnt offer any information at all about anything. I called her back when i got home to give my SSG number and she then proceeded to tell me my flight was changed for the third time to 745 a.m instead of 900 a.m . you would think that as i was sitting there she would know this and let me know then.

thank god for TA - all my questions answered, all fears gone.

Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liberty Travel

dee, I used to use Liberty when Diane Monk was there, she is an awsome agent and left to start her own agency. She is loud and fabulous, she loves the islands especially Jamaica. When she left there I could not find another agent with the company I was happy with.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liberty Travel

Im so disappointed with them. Maybe i was expecting too much. Maybe i want everyone to be as excited as i am! She could have at least said ' have a nice trip'.

Next time i think ill search TA for an agent. Someone thats actually been there and posts all the time.

Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liberty Travel

You need JamaicaSteve, he posts all the time and goes all the time. Many on the forum have used him and he knows so much about the island and does alot of work with the schools. Great Trustworthy Man! I can't wait to meet him in August.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liberty Travel

Ill take that advice and look for him when i book again..

Jersey Girl
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Liberty Travel

I actually worked as a travel agent for 2 years with Liberty Travel. I no longer work in the travel industry but I am using Liberty to book my destination wedding with 61 guests and I have had no problem, but again they know me there. Which office did you book with? Some have better reputations than others.

This is what I would say about what happened, not sure it will make you feel any better though.

1. You booked early and probably have had a few conversations with the agent since then so since this was just your final payment maybe she assumed you didn't have any questions. If you had any questions, why didn't you ask them?

2. It is Liberty Travel's policy that approximately 2 weeks prior to departure (which is usually 2 weeks after final payment) that the client is to receive all of their travel documents(airline passenger reciepts, hotel and transfer vouchers). It is recomended that you go in and pick them up in person rather than having them mailed to you. At this time the agent is supposed to (very imporatant part of their job) go over all of the travel documents with you step by step and ask you if you have any questions. So maybe you are upset because you feel like this is the last time you will see your agent before your trip and she didn't ask you if you had any questions or wish you well, but in fact you will be getting a call when your documents are ready to come and pick them up. I hope that makes you feel somewhat better:)

3. Regarding the flight schedule change I can personally tell you how that works and why she might not have known ahead of time. Many people tend to think that since you can just go online and book a trip with a few clicks of the mouse that that is how travel agents do it. Well it's not. They are on a a very difficult airline reservation system called SABRE (it's all sorts of codes and I had to go to a 3 week class just to learn the basics and was 3 months before I actually got the hang of it). Anyway when the airline has a schedule change (they are changing the schedule not the TA) they send the agency a message via SABRE this message is recieved by the office manager who then sends the message via SABRE to the individual agent. It is the agent's job to check for these schedule changes at the end of their day. They do not pop up on the screen like an email. And they usually come over all at the same time so an agent could have 30 schedule changes to review and contact the client about. She probably checked her schedule changes at the end of the day and saw yours and contacted you. She will check for any schedule changes manually when you go in to pick up your docs and notify you immediately. After that is up to the client to reconfirm all flight times within 24 hours of departure by calling the airline's 1-800#. this info will be in your travel docs.

That's just some info for you so you know what's going on in the agent's head. That being said, it's possible your agent just wasn't that great as I have seen that happen or it's possible he/she was just having a bad day. I can recall going into work 2days after having all my wisdom teeth pulled and a woman yelled at me because I didn't seem excited enough about Aruba! Again it's no excuse travel agents need to remember they are in the customer service industry.

I hope your agent calls you soon with your docs and leaves you with a better impression. If there is anything I can help you with or questions I can answer for you, please let me know.

Mo,

New Jersey
Level Contributor
711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Liberty Travel

The agency i used was in Freehold. And I completely understand having the bad day thing, I too am in customer service.

She did tell me to come back on the 9th for all my documents, i guess youre right, we'll see when i get there what happens.

But i swear when i tell you she didnt utter two words to me, just how much i owed and handed me a pen.

I did have questions, thankfully most of them were answered on here, and the one question that i did have for her, she said i had to ask when i got to Jamaica! Thats when i knew i wasnt going to get much more from her and just decided to leave.

Thank you so much for your reply, made me feel better and maybe next time Ill talk to you about booking.

10. Re: Liberty Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2007, 03:48