We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Montego Bay, Iberostar Grand or Iberostar Rose Hall?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Park City, UT
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Montego Bay, Iberostar Grand or Iberostar Rose Hall?

We're traveling to Jamaica for the first time in December with our two kids (18 & 20)...which resort would be best suited for all of us? We're looking at Secrets Montego Bay, Iberostar Grand or Iberostar Rose Hall. We want great accommodations and food, a great beach and some nightlife for the kids. We like the look of Secrets but is it too quiet (couple oriented)? What is the service like at the Grand? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

United States
Level Contributor
10,490 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Montego Bay, Iberostar Grand or Iberostar Rose Hall?

Iberostar has three hotels all next to each other and all in Rose Hall. So when you say 'Iberostar Rose Hall' do you 'Iberostar Rose Hall Beach' or 'Iberostar Rose Hall Suites'?

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Montego Bay, Iberostar Grand or Iberostar Rose Hall?

If they're next to each other, we'd consider all three I guess

United States
Level Contributor
10,490 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Montego Bay, Iberostar Grand or Iberostar Rose Hall?

"We want great accommodations and food, a great beach and some nightlife for the kids"

The Iberostar Grand is also probably too much for couples for your kids to like it. I would pick the Iberostar Suites as the best match of the resorts list. However, the rooms and food are not as good as at the Iberostar Grand or at Secrets and none of hotels you list have what I would call 'a great beach' (but I like the beach at the Iberostar better than at Secrets).

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Montego Bay, Iberostar Grand or Iberostar Rose Hall?

How close is the Grand to Iberostar Suites? Close enough they could walk over and go to the nightclub/shows? I looked on Google Earth and its hard to get a feel for it.

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Montego Bay, Iberostar Grand or Iberostar Rose Hall?

I have been to Iberostar properties in the past, but not for a long time. What I remember was the hassle of making dinner reservations and not getting into our top choice restaurant until the last night of our stay (at 10:30!). Is it like that at the Iberostar properties in Jamaica? We're looking to go over the Christmas break so we expect the resorts to be at peak occupancy. Can you avoid the stress of the restaurant reservations by making them in advance?

United States
Level Contributor
10,490 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Montego Bay, Iberostar Grand or Iberostar Rose Hall?

"How close is the Grand to Iberostar Suites?"

All three Iberostar resorts are on the same plot of ground. It is 100 yards or less from one of the three hotels to the next. From one end of the property to the other it is total of only 600 or 700 yards.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
318 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Montego Bay, Iberostar Grand or Iberostar Rose Hall?

The Suites are connected by a door adjacent to the lobby area in the Grand. Very close.

Wilkes-barre...
Level Contributor
253 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Montego Bay, Iberostar Grand or Iberostar Rose Hall?

@parkcitygal

I honestly can't speak for the Iberostar Resorts, as we have not stayed in them...

I can however speak for Secrets which is actually 2 resorts in 1... Wild Orchid & St James...

We just returned last week from 11 fabulous days at Secrets Wild Orchid and was so impressed... While I must admit they are without a doubt an incredible resort for couples of all ages... I must say there were so many young singles there not only for weddings but traveling there on their own!

I will say the majority of the singles were there attending weddings... However between the two resorts there had to have been at the very least one wedding a day there and several days we witnessed upwards of three weddings... I talked to several single guys there from the UK who told me they were having a fabulous time and that the night life was great between all the nightly shows and entertainment happenings going on at the Baracuda Bar such as Monday Night Football or World Cup Soccer and Playoffs on an enormous projection TV on the beach set up like an outdoor theater! The Piano Bar and outdoor stage overlooks beautiful Montego Bay all lit up at night with performances and bands almost nightly! Then Desires nightclub for dancing and meeting people until 2am nightly!

As for the beach.. There are four separate beaches... All catering for various types of activities... Some were much more suited for simply sunbathing and swimming... Several were absolutely incredible for snorkeling, actually some of the best snorkeling I've ever done!

One of the beaches was set up for water sports (kayaking, surf sailing, sailing, glass bottom boats and snorkeling and diving trips out to the reefs and parasailing). Then right off one of the breaker jetties they would sail in several catamaran yachts to take guests out on trips to Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville, booze cruises and sunset cruises...

The pools... Too many to count however many activities all day long such as volley ball and other activities surround the pools and two of the pools have swim up bars?

As for the 10 restaurants & the food.. 8 are gourmet restaurants serving excellent food and presentation, only one requires reservations no wrist bands..

Premium beverages and spirits..

24 hr room service?

Believe me I would absolutely not rule Secrets Resorts out as "only for couples".

Wherever you choose enjoy!

Paul

Lower Sackville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Montego Bay, Iberostar Grand or Iberostar Rose Hall?

excellent review Paul. We are going there in Nov! Can't wait

Edited: 18 September 2013, 04:12
10. Re: Secrets Montego Bay, Iberostar Grand or Iberostar Rose Hall?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 14:17