We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to take the bus female solo traveler?

London
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safe to take the bus female solo traveler?

I have booked a group sports holiday in Terre-de-Haut but as I might miss the last boat from Trois Riviere if I arrive on the same day the holiday starts, I took a flight the day before to ensure I get to the island on time.

For that one extra night I found a homestay just 2 km from the airport. I might be able to join the transfer of part of the group arriving the next day to go to Terre-de-Haut, but it's pricey and I would rather see a bit of the island. I don't drive so the other option to the transfer is the local bus.

So my question - is it safe as a solo female traveler with a cabin bag to take local buses in Guadeloupe daytime? Is it safe to walk the 20 minutes from the airport to the accomodation in the afternoon? How long time approximately does it take to go from Pointe-a-Pitre area to Trois Riviere with the bus on a Monday? Are there nice stops along the way? How much does the boat over to Terre-de-Haut cost? Do I need to book in advance or can I just show up?

6 replies to this topic
Boston
Level Contributor
445 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to take the bus female solo traveler?

If you do some searches on the forum there is some discussion of bus travel. In general my impression from people is that it is relatively safe and do-able, but not fast or particularly convenient. You will probably need to transfer in point a pitre, which is the one place on the island where people are warned to keep on alert for danger, particularly after dark. You might consider just taking a taxi or hotel shuttle to Gosier, which is the closest tourist town to the airport, and then taxi or hotel shuttle back to the airport in time to meet up with your group. Gosier can keep you occupied for as much time as you have.

Getting to trois rivieres by yourself without a car won't be easy or quick. You might ask the honesty you are considering about transport. They may have a friend willing to make the drive on the cheap.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
927 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to take the bus female solo traveler?

You will be perfectly safe on the bus in the middle of the day (or at night, as long as you're not in downtown Pointe-a-Pitre). You should be safe walking, too, although you need to be sure your route doesn't put you on a major highway.

London
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to take the bus female solo traveler?

Thank you both for your advice.

Salon-de-Provence...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to take the bus female solo traveler?

Confirming that travelling solo is perfectly safe on bus.

Consider also that 20 minutes by foot to reach your residence from airport will not be easy on highway. There are taxis available at the arrival.

Infos on boat and prices are available on http://www.valferry.fr/index.php. Prices are reduced if ticket are bought in advance. The road from Pap to trois rivieres is about one hour when there is no traffic.

London
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to take the bus female solo traveler?

Thank you for your advice too, Benoit. Good to know that traveling by bus is safe daytime, I was getting a bit worried!

I actually changed plans for the first night and got an Airbnb in Le Gosier instead, and they are picking me up from the airport. Then I will probably take the bus to Trois Rivieres the next day..

London, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to take the bus female solo traveler?

Agreed with the above - safe in the daytime but should you ever get close to 6pm or it's a Sunday do remember you can easily get stranded with no means of getting to your destination and it will be dark (I know this is not relevant for your travel on the day you go to Les Saintes but more for info afterward).

It's good you are getting a transfer as the 'nationale' is indeed not a road you want to be walking down in high humidity and with a cabin bag! 20 minutes suddenly seems several times longer...

Mainly I wanted to let you know that although 1 hour without traffic is the ideal...that is only if all goes well, and so very often things don't on the roads in Guadeloupe! One accident and the whole main road is jammed for hours. I have spent three hours travelling back from Trois Rivieres. Also, I think the bus drops you on the main road above the town above Trois Rivieres. There may be a local bus that takes you down into town as well, I don't remember, but you may find you have quite a long walk down into the town and then even if a bus does drop you in town then you need to walk down another road to the Embarcadere, queue for the ticket etc. So I'd recommend setting out a few hours in advance! There's a sweet cafe overlooking the boats so if you are lucky enough to arrive early you can relax and have some refreshments. I've said it and I'll say it again, busses in Gwada are temperamental so give yourself hours more than you would elsewhere! You could stop off at various places along the way but it's unlikely you'll have time. You'll need to get two busses - one from Gosier to Pointe a Pitre near La Place de La Victoria and then you have to walk across La Darse, through the old town and come out the other side to catch a bus at Bergevin station. Pointe a Pitre can be a bit dodgy but I've personally never had serious problems there and I like the old town.

Reply to: Safe to take the bus female solo traveler?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted