We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinking tap water?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
drinking tap water?

Last time I was in DR years ago you could not drink the tap water. We're thinking of returning and I was wondering if they've had any improvements to their water filtration systems.

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drinking tap water?

Don't do it!

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,604 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drinking tap water?

The recommendation still remains to drink bottled water only!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,199 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drinking tap water?

NO improvements in the drinking supply here at all. I don't suspect any in the near or foreseeable future either. So NO, DO NOT drink the tap water here, only bottled water which is available every where.

BObK

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drinking tap water?

As the others have said - don't drink the tap water. I've gone to Punta Cana several times but last year I picked up the Giardia parasite and I was sick for a few months when I got home before they finally figured out what it was and how to get rid of it. My doctor told me that it was definitely contracted during my trip and although I only drank bottled water, I did (by accident) brush my teeth once with the tap water. Although lots of people of the forum have posted they've never had any problems with the tap water, I will never do so again as I would not want to go through that horrible experience again.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drinking tap water?

I'm curious as to what the locals do? Do they only drink bottled water? Do they all have water filters in their homes? or have they built up an immunity to whatever makes tourists sick?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drinking tap water?

Depends what you can afford.

There is a big business in the towns and cities providing 5 gallon bottles of filtered water to homes - just like you would find in many offices in the UK/USA etc. This water is used for drinking etc

People who cannot afford this will have to rely on water from a variety of sources and will have built up some immunity + will boil the water etc.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,852 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: drinking tap water?

Very good question Stephen. As Domingo said, it depends on what can be afforded. Those who are financially able buy the big bottles for use at home. They mostly cook with tap water because they boil the heck out of it. Those who do not have the money to buy water do in fact use tap water and those that live in the deep country use river water. I agree with Domingo that some type of immunity is built up from drinking the tap water. I drank of it for many years and never got sick. Only the last few years has Tia made the large bottled water a staple in our homes and everyone is drinkng bottled water now.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,199 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drinking tap water?

Also in some areas wells have potable water. At monkey jungle they have a deep well and actually supply water for the mountain community who can not afford bottles. They come early in the morning with large bottles to fill. Where we live we have a deep well with potable water and I use it to cook with and for brushing my teeth however still drink only bottled water.

Again the big bottles cost about $1 here so those of us who can afford it buy it.

BObK

NYC
Level Contributor
32 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: drinking tap water?

So do the resorts make ice for the drinks with filtered water? Or Is it not safe to have a mixed drink with ice in it.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 07:11
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: drinking tap water?

The water and ice in the resorts bars and resturants is safe for consumption.