We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft at Tropical Princess???

East Coast
Level Contributor
134 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Theft at Tropical Princess???

I've seen reviews mentioning this. Anyone have any info? We're leaving on the 19th and would not like this to happen to us!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theft at Tropical Princess???

You could always try inquiring at the source... and PM the people of the reviews you are referring to.

New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Theft at Tropical Princess???

Hi there scrapngal,

Welcome to the forum !

There is theft in EVERY resort in Punta Cana. It’s an unfortunate fact, but a fact none the less. Sometimes it’s the maid, the “beverage guy”, the maintenance man who comes to fix your AC, the manager and even your fellow travelers. For the most part the resorts are safe, but if we accept that theft is a reality, than we can begin to safe guard ourselves. It might not be all the time or every time. But it DOES exist.

Now, some will come on board and “pretend” that it does not exist and attempt to “persuade” the readers that the person who claimed the theft was “crazy”, “wrong”, “misunderstood” or just plain “lying”. Don’t trust in that because MOST of the time, its simply not true.

Knowing the truth enables us to go through the proper precautions and keeps us safe. A few simple tips would be helpful to you. So here are mine.

~ 1. Don’t be a show off in being a “big tipper”. Tip with dignity, class and discretion.

~ 2. Lock your money up in the safe that is provided for you. Keep it locked at all times this way you don’t “forget” to re-lock it.

~ 3. Keep flashy expensive jewelry at home. You don’t need it.

~ 4. Use Charge cards at reputable stores and for excursions with your tour company. Take the carbon’s thereafter.

~ 5. Don’t use the ATM machines if you don’t have to. Leave it for emergency use only. Budget your funds prior to departure.

~ 6. And this one came from a fellow member. Don’t make plans on an open forum such as this one because you never know who is watching and calculating your every move. This is a worldwide open forum that millions of travelers read along with millions of nut cases.

Sorry for the reality check. But that’s the way it is. No fluff ! Just get the truth and go… : >

It would be great if others came aboard and gave their safety tips too.

Peace

Lea

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
East Coast
Level Contributor
134 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theft at Tropical Princess???

Thanks ladies. I did try to PM the poster of the theft review, but that member is not accepting messages. The review mentioned hotel room doors being broken in... a little scary...

Will take the helpful hints into consideration.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,210 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theft at Tropical Princess???

You'll find theft not just everywhere in Punta Cana but pretty much anywhere you'll travel. All it takes is one dishonest employee.

-Brugal

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Kent
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Theft at Tropical Princess???

I've never had a room broken into thank goodness and I always lock valuables in the safe but I was stupid enough to be a bit flash leaving perfume and face cream on display and some vanished never to be seen again. It was more annoying than a disaster as I had to use aftersun on my face and that's not enough for the wrinkles at my age LOL.

I kind of felt guilty because no matter how hard the staff work they probably can't afford these things and I shouldn't have put temptation in their way.

Since then I've locked them in the safe.

6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Theft at Tropical Princess???

You had to lock up your face cream and perfumes? Geez, I didn't even think of this.

I guess my straight iron should be locked up too.

How big are the safes?

Kent
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Theft at Tropical Princess???

I'm really sorry I didn't make it clear that these things went missing at other hotels not the Tropical Princess.

Sorry again if my post misled anyone.

Mentioned in this post
Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa
Tropical Princess Beach...
3,604 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theft at Tropical Princess???

I have been to the Tropical Princess and didnt experience any theft and didnt hear anything from others about it while there after. As long as you are not leaving valuables out on show im sure you will be fine.

Peatree

x

Mentioned in this post
Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa
Tropical Princess Beach...
3,604 Reviews
Dominican Republic
9. Re: Theft at Tropical Princess???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 05:20