We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Ontario
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Came home with a fat lip.........lol

I was in P.C. in April & then in September & both times, I came home with a fat lip.......I had brought some "Nivea Sun" to put on lips while laying in the sun to protect but it didn't work & someone said that it was the "ocean" doing that to my lip & not the sun....What do "you" use to avoid this problemo....??? Merci

Also, I want to add that I've been checking the P.C. forum regularly since late January/ early February & I really appreciate it.......Just this past couple of weeks I learned a few more things. Ex: 1. Dominicans appreciate $$ more than gifts as they can purchase most products should they need them.......2. The value of travelling insurance...3. The link to "music" while anticipating the "voyage"...Thank you Lea!!

lancaster, wi
Level Contributor
420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Came home with a fat lip.........lol

Did you just have a fat lip?? Sometimes when I have went on a vacation I will get puffy on my forehead and between my eyes. Not for sure if from snorkeling or to much sun.

hants
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Came home with a fat lip.........lol

This has happened to me a couple of times, but only my bottom lip, weird huh, have found now using lip balm with high factor works, I use clarins. This happen last year I even got told it looked really good like Id had fillers, ( some people are very strange) Hope this works for you next time. amanda.

NY
Level Contributor
681 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Came home with a fat lip.........lol

Lip balm with a very high SPF and applied often works for me. I used Ocean Potion and it is great.

Watford, UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Came home with a fat lip.........lol

I always put at least 50SPF on my lips when I'm in the sun, I find lip balms if oily can make it worse as they tend to cook on your lips!!

Ontario
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Came home with a fat lip.........lol

munson16, I did not have a fat lip before I left....I believe I got that from sun or ocean...........I really don't want that happening to me again should I be fortunate enough to go again in 2009.

Thank you for the replies everyone, I am taking notes right now.......Going to the Bay on thursday & I will check those products out.....

canada
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Came home with a fat lip.........lol

Caused by irratation of nerve tissue from too much sun exposure mixed with salt water, then topped off with too much lip action during evening activities!

soxrock65
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Came home with a fat lip.........lol

This has never happened to me, however this same thing does happen to my sister-in-law, every year, finally she got tired of it and went to see her physician. He told her it's an allergic reaction to both the sun and the salt water, and he gave her a RX (perscription) which she should use at least 14-days prior to her vacation date, plus advised her to use a high SPF on her lips while she's in the sun on vacation. This only happens to her when she is on vacation, not when she's home in the sum. Hope this has been helpful!

Happy Travels,

Shari

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Came home with a fat lip.........lol

I agree with the above poster. My mom also went to her doctor and he gave her something to take prior and during her vacation.

Ontario
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Came home with a fat lip.........lol

Wow, thank you very much, I will check with the doctor........that would make sense, as I don't get that at all here when I lay out in the sun........

kitchener
Level Contributor
687 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Came home with a fat lip.........lol

It very well can be an allergic reaction to the salt water. There is bacteria in the water from the various species that live in it and we can be allergic/have a reaction to it. When I had a saltwater tank I used to get little red bumps on my hands and arms when I worked in it, they would go away in a day or so.

Definitely talk to your doctor.