We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical Storm Nana

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Tropical Storm Nana

As this is still the hurricane season, we have to keep our eyes on the weather. But at the same time, we must understand that all storms follow different paths.

Nama has developed approximately 2100 miles to our east and is expected to continue on her northwesterly path, thus not a factor for the islands.

At the same time, there is an area of disorganised clouds and squalls located southeast of Puerto Rico which may result in a few brief (5 minutes)but heavy downpours in the arrea over the next 48 hours. Certainly not enough to wash out the day, but enough to get you wet...if you are not already in the pool!

So...despite all the hype that might appear on the weather channels....Nana is not an issue for Punta cana....but if by chance things change...look here for accurate predictions and realtime weather.

Cheers

PCMike

Brook Park, Ohio
Level Contributor
353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical Storm Nana

Thanks Mike! As long as it doesn't effect your beer deliveries, I'll be happy!

Cheers

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical Storm Nana

yes,

the formation now named Nana i watch since a week, it has never been a threat for any landmass on the planet, it may even develop a bit mor upwards but it is from the beginning clearly on it's NW'ern track towards out atlantic hurricane graveyard, that's the central atlantic basin named so because even huge hurricanes entering there will die there without a chance on any effect to any island or the US east coast.

the 2 disturbances in the southeastern caribbean, the farthest one namd Invest 98L, the clouds which brought a bit of rain do not have a invest name or such because they do not show thunderstorm activity like 98 does, they are coming together and will build what we nme a tropical wave, even with very low thunderstorm activity and still no visible circulation that disturbance carries water and moves northwest, which could provide us above average rain for around 24 hrs somewhere between monday night and wednesday noon(not that entire time period, it just will start to effect the area somewhen within that timeperiod, if it starts).

the further development and movement of that disturbance is completely unprdictable, specially it's track, because the prognostics expect a subtropical disturbance to be parked north of puerto rico around mid-end week, the influence between both(IF that subtropical disturbance shows up) will be the decider if 98 moves on on it's actual course, or get's pushed more westwards, or get pulled towards the northeast.

today we had a mostly nice sunny day, the few short showers been isolated in some areas, most of the punta cana strip been dry, a great time on the beach this lovely sunday.

the weather for tomorrow and tuesday depends on the track, such small disturbances usually move slowly forward, but can quickly change their direction from one hour to the next or just stand stationery still for a longer while.

the visible sat shots in the morning will show where it is really located,

now after sundown we receive only IR sat shots and data from local radar, not very accurate for such observations.

by noon or early afternoon we will have some data posted.

happy travel

Mike

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical Storm Nana

Phew! I saw that today and got worried for only a second, then I realized that the weather can change hourly, (especially since I live in Calgary) and I'm holding out for the best for 7 nights and more importantly for my friend's wedding on the 20th:) Thanks for the update PCMike! See you in 79 hours!

Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical Storm Nana

Thanks PC Mike,

Glad you are back!!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical Storm Nana

Thank you so much, PC Mike, for your weather updates and all the great information you always provide on this forum. You truly are an indispensable asset here!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,430 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical Storm Nana

See link below for some more information:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,328 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical Storm Nana

new link this morning with highlightable information

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo_atl.shtml

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical Storm Nana

Good morning to all. A generally overcast day today with filtered sunshine and a stiff breeze. Not a great day for fishing unless you like it rough!

The system i mentioned last night has become better organised and is about to change it's westerly course to northeast, passing east of Puerto Rico and the BVI's...

tropicalstormrisk.com/tracker/…main.html

at least that is the forecast track. We cuurently lie in a low risk (normal for this area) zone (20%) of having Tropical Storm winds... nothing that would even take the motoconchos off the road. What is always the concern is localized flooding due to the quick but strong showers. This should not effect any of the resorts, but some flooding can be expected in all the areas that flood regularly (and we drive through just the same!!!)

Cheers

PCMike

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical Storm Nana

Thanks Mike......see you next week.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropical Storm Nana

Thanks to both Mikes. Will be keeping watch over the next few days to see what we might be in for on our trip.

Will see you folks soon. Mike Fisher, we got another who asked to share our cab...Barthy73! Figger we can fit another person or two, right?

So, my entourage grows! YAY!