We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we bring opened but sealable liquor back home?

1 post
Can we bring opened but sealable liquor back home?

When we arrived in Punta Cana we stopped in the Duty Free store and purchased 3 bottles of liquor. We were told that we will be able to bring it back home after drinking some because it can be sealed closed with the cap. Is this true? We are in DR for 4 more days and would hate to get to the airport and get in trouble for having previously opened liquor or have it confiscated. We have our receipt but want to double check.

7 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Can we bring opened but sealable liquor back home?

I've never had any issues bringing back opened bottles of liquor, but this was put in my checked bag. I would wrap it 3 times in plastic bags and pack it properly so it wouldn't break. Others have done this as well. This can be a suggestion for you.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
43,978 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Can we bring opened but sealable liquor back home?

You will need to put the bottles of liquor safely packed in your check-in luggage NOT your hand luggage as you will not get it through security checks.

Angie.

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
8,223 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Can we bring opened but sealable liquor back home?

Yep, as mentioned, no issues with bringing opened bottles of anything back. Just have that seal on real tight, in a zip-lock bag or other sealed container if possible, in your checked luggage.

murillo
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Can we bring opened but sealable liquor back home?

If you buy it at the duty free store your checked in luggage is already gone..lol.. just wrap your stuff up well... If your not on a direct flight and have to go through security again you have to put it in your checked in luggage then , or loose it when you do.

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
8,223 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Can we bring opened but sealable liquor back home?

bomberro - they purchased the liquor at the duty free shop when they *arrived*! So they had it with them their entire trip.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Can we bring opened but sealable liquor back home?

Yes you can bring it back, but you must declare it. Put it in your checked bags, it will be taken if in your carry on.

It helps if you put your home country in your profile, each country will have different limits,

Returning to a Canada each person is allowed to bring in, 1.14 L of alcohol DUTY FREE. You can bring as much as you want , but will pay duty on the overage, and you must declare it on your customs forms.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 03:07
murillo
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Can we bring opened but sealable liquor back home?

And 150 proof stuff is prohibited ...can be confiscated ..flammable..I only bring back stuff i can't get at home..Duty free doesn't work for me ,stuff i drink is cheaper at LCBO..

Reply to: Can we bring opened but sealable liquor back home?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted