We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominican Republic - What to do?

Kristiansund, Norway
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dominican Republic - What to do?

Hi, my husband and I are travelling to the D.R. this summer. We will be first in Santo Domingo and then we'll spend one week in Punta Cana. In between, we have 3 nights that we haven't decide what to do. We have read that Las Terrenas is very nice, but I do not if it is too long the way to go there, stay just three night and after that drive to Punta Cana ... What do you recommend us?

3 replies to this topic
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominican Republic - What to do?

If first time and travelling with Tiu. Do Carribean cruise trip..one where you go out into sanbank in middle of sea catch starfish.Then get on catamaran etc. Word of warning trips with Tiu a lot more expensive than Mexico or Jamaica in recent years I've been. But whatever you do only do trips through your tour operator reps. A lot of families been stung by buying from chancers / people off beach etc who take your money and don't turn up for any trip. You are not covered and won't get money back. So be careful.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,400 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominican Republic - What to do?

Lee...just an update....handling starfish is now illegal in the country and strongly frowned upon.

Given that you have 3 days to spare, I would strongly recommend a night or 2 in Las Terrenas. Perhaps the most scenic part of the country. Will you be driving or taking public transportation? If driving, plan on 5 hours of easy driving from Las Terrenas to Punta Cana.

Cheers,

PuntaCanaMike

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominican Republic - What to do?

The new road to samana from near santo domingo airport makes three nights doable. We have stayed in hotel atlantis on playa bonita which is a quieter area to visit than las terranas which can be quite hectic imo. Aa mike says the area is beautiful. To get to punta cana you would take the nee road back to sdq airport and then go east.

Reply to: Dominican Republic - What to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted