We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Too many options.... Which one?

Wallington, Surrey
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Too many options.... Which one?

Hi all

I am trawling through reviews for lots of different resorts now and just getting myself confused as to what will be best.

So many amazing reviews but then you come across the negative ones and it swings your thought process!

It's mine and husbands 40th birthday celebrations and we're travelling next April without the children. We don't necessarily need an adults only but of course it will be an added bonus. We want to avoid Spring Breakers for sure and nothing too Party Party.

We liked the look of Breathless but then realised it was rather a party resort. Paradisus is our type of chain, we love good food and their restaurants sound amazing. Just reviews seem hit and miss re restaurant reservations and lack of loungers.

Just after some recommendations please xx

8 replies to this topic
Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Too many options.... Which one?

Check Secrets Cap Cana, Chic, Excellence resorts, Riu Palace Macao and Majestic Mirage.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 08:41
Mentioned in this post
Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts
Sanctuary Cap Cana by...
5,176 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
4,517 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Majestic Mirage Punta Cana
Majestic Mirage Punta...
3,292 Reviews
Dominican Republic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Too many options.... Which one?

If you do Royal Service at either Paradisus (or even Reserve, but RS is adult only), you shouldn't have any problems with reservations or loungers. I didn't at all with Royal Service. RS and Reserve guests get priority restaurant reservations at the Paradisus Punta Cana and the Paradisus Palma Real. You should book your reservations at least 36 -48 hrs before though. I was able to eat at the restaurant of my choice each night with this strategy at both Paradisus resorts.

I had a great time at both Paradisus resorts. Royal Service absolutely spoiled me. I can confirm that the food is very good to great at both. Secrets Cap Cana is amazing from top to bottom. The Mirage is a very good resort too, but honestly the food is mostly average.there.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 09:39
Mentioned in this post
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Paradisus Punta Cana...
14,796 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort
Paradisus Palma Real...
12,332 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Sanctuary Cap Cana by...
5,176 Reviews
Dominican Republic
murillo
Level Contributor
7,026 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Too many options.... Which one?

Melia the level .. much better than Paradisus PC royal service. We never look at reviews .. take the really good ones and the really bad ones and toss them. If you got a question ask it on here ... especially if they are posting live.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Too many options.... Which one?

If you liked the look of Breathless, have a look at the Secrets resorts! Cap Cana is newer.

I liked Royal Beach since it was so lush and gorgeous, and has a lazy river entwined through the trees....so pretty. I'd recommend preferred club at Royal Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Breathless Punta Cana...
11,353 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Sanctuary Cap Cana by...
5,176 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Wallington, Surrey
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Too many options.... Which one?

Thanks so much. I'm loving the look of Secrets Cap Cana but also hearing about the building work going on next door for the new hotel so may disregard that one.

However, the Majestic Mirage has really taken me. Looks right up my street!

Will have a bit more of look at this one.

Mentioned in this post
Sanctuary Cap Cana by...
5,176 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Wallington, Surrey
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Too many options.... Which one?

I think maybe we would upgrade to the Royal Service or level at Melia. We stayed at La Esmerald in Mexico and the reserving of sun loungers and cabanas was happening as early as 4am can you believe?! I just don't want to be trawling the resort for loungers after a leisurely wake up and breakfast!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Too many options.... Which one?

If you decide on the Paradisus, definitely upgrade to Royal Service. You can't go wrong with that.

I'll be heading to the Mirage in Aug. I think you should just keep your expectations reasonable about the food. Honestly, the food is rated mostly average there. With that said, it's a wonderful resort. Majestic Resorts is a very good brand. It's not that Majestic brand is chic and upscale, but its staff and service are sincere and genuine. They really do their best for you to have a great vacation. I have been to the Majestic Colonial and the Majestic Elegance previously. There's a reason I keep coming back to the Majestics, lol

Mentioned in this post
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
Majestic Colonial Punta...
19,229 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Majestic Elegance Punta Cana
Majestic Elegance Punta...
17,220 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,350 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Too many options.... Which one?

I've stayed at resorts by Excellence, Secrets, Paradisus, and Melia, and in general, I'd rate them in that order. I haven't stayed at every resort by these. They are all good. It may be that there's a resort by one of them that would blow me away. I'm just saying that Excellence does it for me most, but all of them are good choices. I have not stayed at Melia since they started "The Level" thing though. And since they stopped with the restaurant reservations thing, they've risen in my esteem.

Mark

Mentioned in this post
The Level at Melia Caribe Tropical
The Level at Melia...
5,922 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Reply to: Help! Too many options.... Which one?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted