We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi to / from Saturno Cave

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
15 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi to / from Saturno Cave

We are going Varadero in next few weeks, and Saturno Cave is the one place I want to go, but not by jeep tour or other tours, so we can take our time to enjoy.

It seems the option for us is to rent a car / scooter, or taxi. We are thinking about using taxi, and I see most saying to ask drivers to wait there while we are in cave. Is it better than getting another taxi on the return trip? Will it cost more if we ask them to wait there? Is it difficult to find taxi to take us back to hotel from Cave? What is the best option for us to go? and what is the cost we should be expecting?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Saturno Cave
Saturno Cave
2,594 Reviews
Cuba
4 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi to / from Saturno Cave

Tak,

By all means visit Saturno,

but I'm afraid your gonna be a bit disappointed, it's not a cave per se, more like a 30-40 ft hole in the

ground full of freezing cold water.

Take a bathing suit and have a dip, so you can say ya did, the whole visit won't take more than 45-to an hour so the taxi will wait no prob.

Costs? I don't remember, but I thought it was a rip.

If your into caves ?? Belamar( spell) caves may be a better choice?

Chris

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi to / from Saturno Cave

We hired a taxi to take us to Coral Beach snorkelling and then to Saturno Caves. We got the taxi at Calle 15 at the Big Market. Always ask the price first. Went snorkelling first and the cab driver waits and then he took us to Saturno Caves which is less than 5 minutes from Coral beach. It cost 5 cucs to go into the caves swimming. After swimming we relaxed and had a few drinks at the bar. The cab driver waits. it cost us 50 cuc for about 4 to 5 hours of time. At Coral beach we had our own snorkel gear so did not rent it there nor did we take up the offer of having a snorkel guide. I believe if you decide to use the guide and gear it is 15 cuc. Well worth it. I did not use this option at the time because I have snorkelled with the guide in the past and felt I did require one this time around.

There were 4 of us so the cost was cheap when splitting 4 ways. We gave a 10 tip so total was 60 cucs for half day with cab driver waiting. At no time did we feel rushed. Cab driver was excellent.

I have been to Saturno Caves 4 times. Some people say it is not worth it but I always enjoy going there after snorkelling. So refreshing and nice to relax with a cold beer afterwards.

I have also done the Bellmar Caves in Matanza.I prefer the Saturno caves. To get to Matanza it is about 45 minutes and to do the caves is about 20 minutes. A cab drive to Matanza will be about 60 cuc return. He will wait for you. But when I am paying that much money for a cab to Matanza I always do other things there to make it worth my while.

Mentioned in this post
Coral Beach
Coral Beach
1,046 Reviews
Cuba
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi to / from Saturno Cave

I have done this and posted a review as well as information on here. I am too lazy to go back and try and find it, but if you search Saturno Cave it should come up.

I think it was around $60 or $80 for the taxi to the cave and back and he waited for us and took as long as we wanted......its a cool place to check out and better if you go early before its busy.

Mentioned in this post
Saturno Cave
Saturno Cave
2,594 Reviews
Cuba
Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi to / from Saturno Cave

LOL @ " freezing cold". It may feel a lot colder at the first jump considering you are out in hot temps but the advertised temp, which might be slightly exaggerated for tourists, is 20-22c. Nice place to sit, have a beer or rum and people watch.

Mike :)

Reply to: Taxi to / from Saturno Cave
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Varadero