We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price leap - not a jump

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Price leap - not a jump

Went in this week to do booking for end of Feb 2019 and got a shock. First of all, Airtransat has joined Air Canada and dropped direct flight from Calgary to Varadero (thanks a lot!!); would have to leave Calgary at 12:30 am to go to Toronto, sit then fly down. No club class offered as smaller plane. Final cost for 2 weeks at Los Cactus would be $7900.00. Paid $6800 this past Feb and that included club class and health insurance! Also to upgrade to gardenview suite has gone from $200 to $400. Guess they don’t want western Canada business!

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Be Live Adults Only Los Cactus
Be Live Adults Only Los...
2,832 Reviews
Cuba
19 replies to this topic
London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price leap - not a jump

Do you not find that prices are high right now for bookings the following year. Just wondering, how early did you book last year for February, I don't usually book until a couple of months before.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price leap - not a jump

I would wait to book 3 weeks before departure from your destination.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,879 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price leap - not a jump

Hola

Or you could look at Sunwing.......Feb 22 - March 9. 2019

2 weeks at Los Cactus @ $2915 pp

Upgrade to garden view suite @ $180

Premium Plus for seats with more legroom & "other" perks (including $50 voucher for future travel) @ $120

Premium worry free insurance age 74 and under @ $120

Price Drop Guarantee @ $49

= $3384 x 2

= $6768

Looks like even booking this far in advance, the price with Sunwing (including upgrades and insurances) is pretty much what you paid with Transat, AND, if the price drops, and you purchase the price drop guarantee, you might even save more...

Might be worth checking out??? Believe me, I know your pain because it's not so easy going to Cuba from Vancouver either...

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Be Live Adults Only Los Cactus
Be Live Adults Only Los...
2,832 Reviews
Cuba
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Price leap - not a jump

Holy poop!! 8K for Varadero? That's insane!! All of my 2 week trips to Cuba have been for well under 1K. I could vacation in Fiji for under 8K. I have a bungalow at Starfish Varadero for next month for under $700.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Starfish Varadero
Starfish Varadero
1,313 Reviews
Cuba
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price leap - not a jump

Laurie we have always done our end of Feb booking between now and August for 12 years.

Getting tired of the “who cares about the west” opinion with airlines. Not everyone out here wants to go to Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,879 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price leap - not a jump

Hola

"Not everyone out here wants to go to Mexico".

Or Hawaii....

But having said that, I've been on 5 direct flights from Vancouver to Cuba since last September, for packages all purchased at greatly reduced rates (I mean really, how often do we get to pay less for the same packages than those out of Toronto??), and there were lots of empty seats....It's all about the money.....

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price leap - not a jump

We booked AirTransat “super early booking” package last year, in June 2017 for March 2018.

There are extra perks for those that book then. One of them is a refund of the price drops. It’s your responsibility to watch and then ask for it.

We have gotten refunds of $250-350 each. It’s a gamble as the prices drop to see how low it will go.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price leap - not a jump

all I know Sunwing is 375$ more expensive than Cubana direct flight into Havana same dates and same hotel package deal to Havana, and I have to fly into Varadero from Toronto with Sunwing, and then get into Havana by bus transfer, I even lose vacation time on the ground transfer to the hotel with Sunwing to Havana from Varadero and back to catch my flight home.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 13:37
Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Price leap - not a jump

$8,000.00 in my opinion is WAY WAY too much. Give me that money and I'll go to Varardero 3 times at a 5 star resort.. Is that REAL of what you are saying??? or you are teasing us?

Edited: 12 May 2018, 23:21
Algonquin...
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Price leap - not a jump

Try booking flight from Calgary to Toronto separate and book to Cuba from Toronto I came up with $5400 not a bad savings.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Reply to: Price leap - not a jump
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted